Surplus garden veggies - what can you freeze?

puss..in..boots, Jan 30, 12:49am
Is there anything you can’t freeze! I have plenty of carrots, beans and soon tomatoes. Can these be chopped then put straight into the freezer for 8 (approx) months for winter soups!
I did broccoli and cauli last year but blanched them first – they stunk out my freezer for ages so I’m hoping to avoid this step. How do you freeze your vegies!
TIA

threecheers, Jan 30, 12:58am
I've frozen tomatoes. Just put in a freezer bag. didn't even bother to chop. Great for winter soups.

lythande1, Jan 30, 1:31am
Tomatoes, most root veges actually. Things like cauli really need flash freezing, the enzymes start and they taste off.home blanching or not.I stick to growing what I either eat straight away or what freezes well or what I can preserve. The rest.well Akld has cheap vege markets.if you stick to seasonal.

fiddles3, Jan 30, 3:16am
If you cool the cauli and broccoli and make sure the bags are sealed tight it should be okay. Have done for years and never had a smell problem Blanch beans also. I don't like carrots frozen but perhaps grated they might be good for soups. Carrots will stay in the ground anyway. No need to freeze!