Stupid question. about steaming bok choy

vix.tribe, Jan 27, 6:03am
How long does bok choy and snow peas have to be steamed for!

uli, Jan 27, 6:12am
I never steamed them - I usually stir fry.
But I would guess 5 to 10 minutes max.

pickles7, Jan 27, 6:19am
lol ,
You could refer to the manual.

twindizzy, Jan 27, 6:19am
5-10 mins! Maybe if you have no teeth

vix.tribe, Jan 27, 6:29am
There's a manual!!!!! Damn! lol

We're a very 'boring' family and we're trying to branch out. Trying a new recipe that's got chicken and rice and steamed asian greens. Got everything else sussed, just don't know how long to steam the greens.

uli, Jan 27, 6:30am
vix.tribe - next time just stir-fry the lot .

vix.tribe, Jan 27, 6:37am
Mmmm. we do like stir fries - thank you :-)

holly-rocks, Jan 27, 6:56am
I would steam them for 1-2 minutes.

lurtz, Jan 27, 7:06am
Exactly. For Bok Choy I would suggest slicing through the the middle of the tender whitish stems of the vegetable, to divide. Then steam as suggested by holly-rocks. Add to what recipe you want to, or serve with whatever accompaniments you desire.

vix.tribe, Jan 27, 9:04pm
We stir fried it, and it was divine - the whole meal was excellent.It's definitely on the list of 'have again'.Thank you for the input :-)

uli, Jan 28, 2:04am
Good to hear you all loved it.
Enjoy a few more times in the near future.

ant_sonja, Jan 28, 2:51am
I love using bok choy in soups, I use home made chicken stock, add to that a splash of vinegar (rice wine variety if you have), another splash of fish and soy sauce.use finely sliced carrot, mushrooms, spring onion. trim and wash bok choy and place in a deep soup bowl, as well as the other prepared vegetables. Pour over the hot soup stock and season to taste. (add chili too if available) Can also add shrimp/prawns, some roast pork, vermicelli noodles or what have you. Leave to 'steep' for a little while before serving, this basically cooks the veggies but they will still be fairly raw and crunchy.

karenz, Jan 28, 5:43am
I bought some bok choy for the first time and have never cooked it, I was going to slice them in half pan fry in a little peanut oil with some finely chopped garlic and ginger, then splash a little sesame oil over them, does that sound like a good way!The recipe I got for this online said to add a cup of water, wine or broth but I don't have fresh stock only powdered maggi type (which I only use for gravies) and no Chinese wine.