risoni salad

evebee, Apr 2, 9:05pm
x1
i tased a lovely salad made with risoni--like rice- and wondered if anyone had a nice recipe. it had red and green peppers in itand some sort of vinagrette dressing. thanksfor any help.

sammylee3, Apr 3, 5:28am
Go tohttp://greggs.co.nz/Recipes/Detail. aspx? id=4558

Basil and garlic Pumpkin Orzo Salad.

Risoni is also called ORZO , I make this recipe a lot really tasty and always a big hit.

sammylee3, Apr 3, 9:05am
that link doesn't seem to work so here is the recipe

Basil and garlic Pumpkin Orzo Salad
Dressing
1/4 cup olive oil
2Tbs wine vinegar
2 tsp Greggs Basil& Garlic Paste
1 tsp honey.
Salad
2 Tbsp olive oil
500gm pumpkin, peeled and cut into small chunks
1 red onion cut into wedges
2 red capsicum, cut into chunky pieces
2 Tbsp Basil and garlic paste
1 cup orzo (Risoni)
150gms fets cubed
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (optional)

preheat oven to 200* C
prepare the dressing. Combine all the dressing ingredients in a bowl ans whisk until blended. Set aside.
Place the oil in a roasting dish and add the pumpkin, red onion and capsicums. Add the Basil and Garlic paste and toss thoroughly.
Cook in oven for 40mins or until veges are cooked. and golden brown.
While veges are roastingcook the Risoniaccording to instructions on the packet. Drain then rinse under cold running water and drain again.
combine with the cooked veges and stir through veges.
Place mixture onto serving platter and top with feta cheese and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds, garnish with fresh herbs.

crunchie3, Apr 4, 8:15am
oohhhh I like the sound of this! You have 2tsp basil and garlic paste then further down 2 tbsp paste, how much do you need?

cookessentials, Apr 4, 10:42pm
Try this one - my Mum makes it and it is delicious. In fact, I am making it for dinner tonight.

HOT SMOKED SALMON AND ORZO SALAD

1 cup orzo, cooked according to packet instructions
1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
½ cup fresh or frozen peas, cooked
1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
Grated rind 1 lemon
¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups baby spinach leaves
200g hot-smoked salmon, broken into chunks

Place the orzo in a bowl and add the salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Fold through the peas, dill, lemon rind and parsley. Drizzle in the olive oil and lemon juice and gently toss everything together. Add the spinach and salmon and fold them through. Serve in bowls. You can also make it go further by adding wedges of hard boiled egg if you wish. I love it on it's own with a glass of riesling.

cookessentials, Apr 23, 7:50am
Made this again last night, but didn't bother with the peas. I add extra lemon zest and plenty of pepper etc... it is very very tasty and so quick and easy to make, especially when I am late home from the shop.

anne1955, Apr 23, 7:59am
Hi This has to be the best rice/pasta out My fav brand is Barilla which I buy from Woolworths/Countdown (even though I work for NW hahah)I use it for very fast rissito's in fact I now use it for anything. . almost stopped buy rice althougher. . granted Jasmine and Basmarti has if place with flaovor but this tuff as the young says "rocks" so easy to use cook and takes up all flavours you put in... so if you like flavours use this as the filler. . it is great! !

cookessentials, Apr 23, 8:06am
Only thing though anne, it would not be good for a traditional Italiian risotto because you need a glutenous rice for this

fifie, Feb 25, 5:15pm
Made this salad to go with steak last night. 1 cup risoni cooked as per instructions. Handful long green beans pre cooked, 1/2 red pepper chopped finely, little fresh chopped parsley, salt and pepper. Combine all gently and toss through some balsalmic vinegarete dressing and serve... Quick and easy and tasty. .