Pottle of Sour Cream to use .

korbo, Jan 21, 11:58pm
Have a large pottle of sour cream that expired (best before 18 Jan).

Does anyone have a nice cake type recipe or what else could I do with it.
I did have a gingerbread recipe using sour cream, but cant find it.thanks.

korbo, Jan 22, 8:21am
Thank you elliehen,
I have been wondering, if a recipe calls for say 200g butter, could you use the sour cream instead.
Would love the gingerbread recipe if anyone has it.
Jo Seagers choc cake looks pretty good too.

kassie48, Jan 22, 8:33am
I freeze & use in cooking.

elliehen, Jan 22, 8:58am
Sounds rather complex if you're using more than 1/4 cup.

"1 Determine the amount of butter you wish to replace in the recipe. If the recipe calls for a relatively small amount of butter (less than 1/4 cup) you can safely replace it entirely with sour cream. If the recipe calls for more butter, you will need to take into account replicating the oiliness of butter that sour cream lacks.

2Measure out the appropriate amount of sour cream. For a small replacement, use a 1-to-1 ratio where you substitute the exact amount of butter you would be using with sour cream.

3 Mix in other butter substitutes if you need to increase the oily texture of butter for the recipe. Vegetable oil and margarine both contain significant amounts of oil and can be added to sour cream to increase its similarity to butter. Apple sauce is another common butter substitute that can be added.

4 Reduce the amount of other wet ingredients. Sour cream adds significant moistness to baked goods compared to butter, and you can cut back slightly on other wet ingredients.

5 Keep notes on the ratios of the substitutions used for a particular recipe. Use your notes to replicate successes, and figure out what went wrong with failures."

Source: Google

wheelz, Jan 22, 9:31pm
'Best before' is not an expiry date ! If unopened will last way beyond this date.

elliehen, Jan 22, 10:58pm
If you've got a good nose the sniff test works well for 'best before' dairy items ;)

peterlap1, Jan 22, 11:01pm
My wife makes sublime Sour Cream Pastry and freezes it.