White icing

accroul, Jan 13, 2:00am
Ok, this has probably been done to death & yes I have used the search function! I need to make a white buttercream icing. I'm thinking of using the 50/50 butter/kremelta idea, but what I need to know is if I should melt the kremelta & allow it to cool to room temp, or is there some other way to do it!

cookiebarrel, Jan 13, 8:00am
hi accroul, when I use the 50/50 butter and kremelta I usually melt the kremelta and then let it come back to a soft butter like consistency, put back into fridge for a wee while to speed this up, but have to remember to keep checking it so it doesn't go to hard again!Can also use the defrost cycle on microwave to get it soft.Also found any lumps left in it don't mix in with butter no matter how much I beat it, so I make sure it is all softened well.

cookiebarrel, Jan 13, 8:03am
Also you can use more than half Kremelta if you want it really white.Insome cases I know of folk using all Kremelta and no butter.Not too sure how that would work out but it has been done.

accroul, Jan 13, 9:25am
Awesome - thanks, I'll have to remember that - bit late now for the purpose that I wanted it for (6yo boys won't notice though - or care!) but will hopefully be able to use it later in the year.

kimkat1, Jan 14, 1:10am
Just use the kremelta at room temp and whip it heaps with your beater, with the amount of butter you want too. I do this and have never had a problem.

cookiebarrel, Jan 14, 11:06am
I find that too kimkat1, providing I have remembered to leave it out in plenty of time or if I need it in a hurry, then have to almost melt it first.