Plum Sauce Question - URGENT!

zambesi2, Jan 12, 8:02pm
Hi Ladies- I've made some plum sauce for the first time, and it hasn't turned out as thick as I would have liked. I've already sealed it into bottles, so the question is could I further reduce it to thicken it up!Would this work after the event!

winnie231, Jan 12, 8:19pm
Yes you could. You just need to re-sterilise the bottles :)

zambesi2, Jan 12, 8:38pm
Thanx Winnie - I boiled it for 30 minutes, then put it through a sieve and boiled it for another 45 minutes.How long do think I should now boil it for. That's what the recipe called for, but looking at some of the other threads, some people boil it for around 1 1/2 hours!

winnie231, Jan 12, 9:21pm
I can't say exactly I'm sorry. You will have to judge that by the consistency of the sauce. Just be aware you will need to stay near your stove & stir frequently as it will easily stick. Bring it up to heat slowly & let it simmer on a medium heat instead of boiling hard out.
Good luck with it :)

zambesi2, Jan 12, 9:51pm
Thanx for your advice.

cgvl, Jan 12, 11:06pm
just had a glance at mine and says boil 2 hours then strain and bottle.

jag5, Jan 13, 3:13am
To stop sauce, or jam sticking, add 4-5 marbles to the pan.just reboil until reduced.look at level on side of pan.with sauce there really isn't any need to sterilise bottles.can let the sauce get cold and bottle.

kob, Jan 13, 3:47am
because plums are a very watery fruit they sometimes, take a long time to set, a good option would be to add less water to recipe for future times, but deffinately resimmer to reduce and thickin for now, it will thicken upon sitting in bottle but only you can judge how runny it is

zambesi2, Jan 13, 6:03am
Thanx ladies.You are all fab!