Bottled Beetroot

cookie4u, Jan 11, 8:28am
Hi could someone give me a yummy beetroot recipe please.

kaysu, Jan 11, 9:14am
x1
I've put this recipe up before, but here it is again, and it is really delicious.you will never want to bottle it any other way.I am doing some right now :-)

Boil for 20 minutes
1 cup vinegar
1 cup sugar
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
Then add cooked sliced beetoot to liquid while boiling. Bring back to boil and overflow into jars and seal.

rainrain1 (7 )11:03 am, Wed 26 Jan #2 2011
Pop into lefthand message board & under keyword put bottled beetroot. under date posted enter last year.

picxie, Jan 11, 9:18am
Yum . I'm going to do this tomorrow. How do you cook the beetroot and how can you tell it's cooked all the way through properly before slicing! Oh, and how many kilo's of beetroot will this mix cover!

fisher, Jan 11, 9:59am
picxie.scrub up your beetroot leaving skin on .leave about an inch of stalk and also leave the pigs tail on.while doing this boil a large pot with salted water. place the biggest beetroot in and cook for 5 mins. then add the medium sized ones for a further 5 mins and then the rest of the small ones. This ensures they are all cooked through. how can you tell!stick a knife into the largest one and it should pierce easily.I like mine slightly underdone. . Place them all into a sink of cold water, and you can simply rub the stalks and skin off, ready for slicing.
Place your jars into the oven at 100 for about 10 mins. (not the lids). then open the door to let cool.
In a large saucepan. place .1 cup brown malt vinegar.1/2 cup water . 1/2 cup sugar . 1/4 tsp cinnamon . 2 whole cloves.4 peppercorns . 1 bay leaf.Simmer mixture for 15 mins stirring to mix well.
Once you have removed all the beetroot from the sink , sliced them up and put into a bowl, wash the sink out and run some hot water to heat up the s/s. using tongs, place your warm jars one at a time into the sink and fill with sliced beetroot. until you have used all the beetroot and jars. Then pour vinegar mix over. Placing lid onand using pot mit. "CAREFULLY" turn right over and place back into sink lid side up. open lid and now fill to the top. Seal tightly with lid and store in safe place to cool. label with date.
I have been known to put a half deseeded chilli into a jar or two. if you like a bit of heat.:}

picxie, Jan 11, 10:41am
Oooh thanks fisher . that sounds yummy with the extra spices, all of which I have so I can get stuck in tomorrow! Thanks!

What's the purpose of turning over the jars then opening them up to fill them up to the top!

fisher, Jan 11, 11:44am
I have found that even tho you think they are full, they aren't. turning them over makes the liquid fill up the spaces and you can then fill to the top.
The "top" beetroot keeps better if kept in the liquid. The extra spices aren't all that over the top and really just leave a subtle hint of their flavours.
I have tried a few ways but keep coming back to make this one.

rainrain1, Jan 11, 8:14pm
If you insert a dinner knife carefully down between the inside of the jar and beetroot in several places , you can remove any air bubbles, then by wriggling gently (the knife not yourself, or both)it causes the beetroot to settle more in the jar and then often you can fit more in, then top with liquid and seal.

goodaznz, Jan 24, 11:00pm
Thanks heaps fisher for the beetroot brine recipe, its really very tasty, nicest one I have tried so far. One question, I didn't leave the peppercorns and cloves in with the beetroot, was i supposed to do this! A lady at the pool this-morning said she uses the juice the beetroot is cooked in to make her brine with, so might give that a go with the next batch.

arnie62, Jan 25, 2:54am
wooohoooooo thanks ladies! going to get "a bottling" tomorrow, had to dig the beetroot up to make room for the winter brassicas to go in! i have been roassting most of the beetroot and using it in salads up untill now, if i have enough i might try the edmonds chutney recipe too

fisher, Jan 25, 2:58am
Good trick rainrain1.:}Hi goodaznz.yes I leave it all in.adds flavour. and saves the hassle of sieving. I used to cook the beetroot in the mix but didn't really like the fact of residual dirt left on the beetroot and stalks. even tho scrubbed up.thats the only reason. never found much difference in flavour/taste really to tell the truth.
Once you have made the first one. and if you feel it could do with something extra, just add more of what you think is missing or use your imagination and add other things. a little at a time.I actually crush half a doz peppercorns and still add the whole ones.

goodaznz, Jan 25, 5:05am
thanks fisher for the advice and will give the extras a try with next batch