Beef gravy question

tessa_asset, Jan 11, 1:36am
How do i make beef gravy with no bisto! im trying to make hubby the best roast beef, but have no gravy :(

davidt4, Jan 11, 1:45am
When the beef has finished cooking remove it from the roasting dish and set aside on a warm plate, covered with foil.It will stay hot for 30 minutes at least.Pour off any excess fat from the roasting dish, leaving about 1 tablespoonful. If there is no fat add a tab of butter.Leave the meat residue in the pan.Add 1 tab of plain flour and stir into the fat and residue for a couple of minutes.Add a splash of red or white wine if you have it, stir well.Add 2 cups of hot real beef stock or chicken stock, or water if you have no stock.Add 1/2 tsp salt, some freshly ground pepper.Stir with a wooden spoon to incorporate all of the residue and to make a smooth gravy.It should be quite thin for roast beef.Simmer about 10 minutes while you get the rest of the dinner on to serving plates.If the gravy is lumpy pour it through a sieve.

Good luck.

ant_sonja, Jan 11, 1:48am
Hi tessa_asset - When I cook a roast I use the juices and browned bits left over in the oven dish to make my gravy with. Once your meat is cooked, set it aside to rest (covered in foil) and add a cup full of liquid (water or a mix of stock and red wine is nice) to you roasting dish. Loosen the burnt on bits with a wooden spoon and then pour the whole lot into a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and the sauce will reduce naturally over time, to thicken it more, ad a little cornflour. Adjust seasoning to taste. If on the other hand it is already very strong in flavour you can add a little more water :-)

tessa_asset, Jan 11, 2:08am
Awesome thank you so much :)

cluliz, Jan 11, 2:16am
Roast a whole peeled onion in the dish with the meat as it helps with the brown bits and adds a fuller flavour to the brown bits and juices left in the pan.Rich been gravy made from the meat juices is jut the best,Good idea to strain it at the end to get a really smooth sauce.

whitehead., Jan 11, 3:50am
add a roast spud to your gravy adds to the taste .just mash it into your flour