Choc Eclair !

grouch, Jan 7, 10:17am
What sort of icing would you put on the top of eclairs! Would it be just a plain icing one with cocoa added or something different with a bar of choc!Thanks.

shop-a-holic, Jan 7, 10:26am
Melt in a bowl on top of simmering water; 200gms of dark 70% cocao chocolate.
Add 15mls of Rice Bran Oil.
Apply liberally. (smother). Let set.
Oh my!

kuaka, Jan 7, 10:47am
I've always used icing made with icing sugar, cocoa, a generous dollop of butter or flora and hot water.

shop-a-holic, Jan 7, 10:59am
But does it look as good!

nails6, Jan 7, 11:31am
The best type of icing IMO is as shop-a-holic states, melted chocolate blended with a bit of oil.Yum!I also use this for my custard squares, quality slices, afghans etc;

grouch, Jan 7, 7:05pm
Thanks all, I will do the melted choc.

summah63, Jan 7, 7:09pm
I like the 'norm' icing. Can be thicker & therefore more tasty. Personal choice.

lu_lu1, Jan 7, 7:15pm
Tastier than the melted chocolate .They tend to be drier with the melted chocolate somehow

flower-child01, Jan 7, 11:35pm
Melt chocolate, add half the amount/weight of butter. Spread over the eclair. It is chocolaty, soft, and tastes better than a choc icing.

shop-a-holic, Jan 8, 12:29am
This is a terrible thread :-) LOL I'm so hungry.
I'm going to make some now, and sit on the couch and eat them.

turtlet, Jan 8, 12:36am
I only make them occasionally but I prefer the cocoa/icing sugar /butter icing as well.

lindylambchops1, Jan 8, 12:57am
I have never made eclairs & I so want to.all a matter of confidence eh!

pickles7, Jan 8, 1:51am
They are not hard, if you don't try you will never learn. Go look at them being made on you tube, there, you will see the texture of the paste.
The Edmond's book has a good, small recipe.

pickles7, Jan 8, 1:54am
We tried both, but the icing ones were more popular, than the couverture chocolate.

pickles7, Jan 8, 2:34am
I found this one , it was the best I could find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=kDJgLwqhSRI&feature=related

turtlet, Jan 8, 2:45am
Interesting pickles.I see he uses half milk and half water.I've only ever used water.