Question - Pork Hocks!

paix1, Jan 6, 10:29pm
I bought two of these as they were SO cheap at Countdown - thinking I will brown all over then put in roasting dish with carrots, celery & herbs etc - my question, should I take the fat of first ! (& maybe make pork crackling with it!) I thought it may be too 'fatty' if I leave it on. Thanks!

kay141, Jan 6, 10:44pm
I leave it on. Then slow roast them in cider, and sliced onions. I cover the dish with tinfoil until about the last half hour. They don't seem to have any fat on them at all, or at least the ones I bought, haven't.

hort1, Jan 7, 3:09am
No fat in or on pork hocks

beaker59, Jan 7, 4:13am
If you roast them well the crackling crackles and the fat is largely cooked out.

rainrain1, Jan 7, 4:24am
you will have nothing left if you cut anything away from pork hocks

paix1, Jan 7, 6:28am
Very many thanks people! Strangely have never bought them before, hence my question lol - such a bargain I couldn't pass them up - will take your advice & let you know how I get on - once again, many thanks :-)

timturtle, Jan 7, 8:36pm
Here's Al Browns recipe, ignore all the fancy stuff, about half way down is the roasting of the hock, basically the same as you are doing it. Cheers

http://tvnz.co.nz/get-fresh-with-al-brown/ep-6-roasted-pork-hock-w-black-pudding-4387400

karenz, Jan 8, 3:08am
Someone on here suggested soaking them in salted water overnight, I did that then slow roasted them after rubbing in sesame oil and salt and they were wonderfully moist and tender.Sadly I think they will soon follow lamb shanks and become about as unaffordable for a lot of people. (thanks a lot Al Brown)

paix1, Jan 8, 6:17am
Well - the result in 5 short words:-
"The dogs enjoyed dinner tonight" - did as suggested - looked great but tasted tough as old boots and bummer! still have one in the freezer - will try Al Browns recipe with that sometime when I can be bothered - very disappointing. Should have paid a few $$ more & got the 'real thing'. But hey! Thanks again everyone for your suggestons!

dreamers, Jan 8, 6:46am
I prefer them done in the slow cooker with a sauce

mouse_y, Jan 8, 6:52am
boil 'em up with watercress and spuds .

paix1, Jan 8, 6:53am
Yes, I wondered that too dreamers - can I have your recipe please if its not too much trouble (I hate failing hehehehe) Thanks! :-)

timturtle, Jan 8, 6:58am
Paix1 I have just taken one out of the oven, done like Al Brown, and it is falling off the bone, nice bit of crackling as well. Sorry about your result, better luck with the second one. Cheers

paix1, Jan 8, 7:28am
Thanks timturtle! I will persevere!

dreamers, Jan 8, 8:51am
Mmmmm,I usually just throw in a half cup of BBQ sauce,some brown sugar,half cup of cider vinegar,,half cup of tomato sauce,some orange juice and rind,grated onion,bit of Worcester sauce if you like ,optionals extras are mustard,Cajun seasoning. Hope you enjoy it

kay141, Jan 8, 7:14pm
I've never had a tough one yet and I have cooked many. How did you cook it!

jag5, Jan 8, 11:38pm
Long and slow.just like lamb shanks.can't go wrong.

karenz, Jan 9, 5:34am
Try the''covering with salted water in the fridge overnight' and then slow cooking method.