Pasta sauce

falconhell2002, Jan 5, 9:40pm
I have 2kg of acid free tomatoes, garlic, onion and yellow capsicum.If i was to cook the onion and garlic then add the capsicum and toms would this make a nice tomato pasta sauce and can I freeze it!Is the anything else that I should add to it!TIA!

shop-a-holic, Jan 5, 9:50pm
That's a really yummy stack of ingredients.
I'd season to taste of course, and maybe add a splash of red wine vinegar, and a dessertspoon of brown sugar, to bring out the sweetness of the tomatoes. Do this at the end when all of your ingredients are together, and let your tongue do the tasting.Yum.
You've inspired me to go out and get some too!

ant_sonja, Jan 5, 9:52pm
I would roast all the ingredients first on an oven tray drizzeld with olive oil and balsamic, salt/pepper. Then cook down on the stove, blend down a bit and add chicken stock to thin if needed. Yum :-)

falconhell2002, Jan 5, 9:56pm
Yum, might do 2 lots. Lol should of got more toms really.At .99c a kilo.

falconhell2002, Jan 5, 10:50pm
Ohhh smells so good roasting in the oven!

ant_sonja, Jan 5, 10:51pm
it certainly does, don't let it burn tho! lol

jag5, Jan 5, 10:53pm
Roasting them makes the yummiest sauce.I do mine with garlic, onion, salt and pepper, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar and lots of basil - oh bring it on LOL

falconhell2002, Jan 5, 11:18pm
oh Basil that would of been a great addition.My basil plant died, lol im not a very good gardener.

jag5, Jan 5, 11:25pm
LOL.I have Basil Mint.a combination of the two.it is really nice and useful and makes the most delicious pesto.

It grows fairly rampant like mint, so if you have a corner in your yard you can put it.I will happily send you a piece to grow .or if you come up to Bell Block, where I work, or Waitara, where I live.you can pick it up.

falconhell2002, Jan 5, 11:40pm
oh how lovely jag5.Unfortunately we don't often get the chance to make it up that way.I could pay postage if you think the plant will handle the trip!

jag5, Jan 5, 11:45pm
The plant will handle the trip.I will put up an auction for you.very cheap.then we can go from there.will do now

falconhell2002, Jan 5, 11:46pm
Thank you so much.

tjman, Jan 5, 11:48pm
Check out annabelle Langbeins recipe for her tomatoes sause.It's great

jag5, Jan 5, 11:52pm
falconhell2002.here it is.437801315

falconhell2002, Jan 6, 12:32am
Oh yum, just took it out of the oven and put it in a pot to simmer for awhile.Had to sample and I may just have to cook some pasta and put some over it for lunch.Thanks all.

falconhell2002, Jan 6, 1:21am
Ok its really yummy, a lil tart a lil sweet, but the tom skins are a pain in the butt.I roasted, then simmered and then pureed.I did try to run it thru the strainer but all i got was liquid in the bottom bowl and pulp in the sieve.I would really like to get rid of the skins out of this one but if no one has any ideas I will blanch the toms next time before cooking, or peel them off after roasting maybe!

ant_sonja, Jan 6, 1:36am
Yes if you don't want skins you need to blanch and peel, but roasting with the skin on gives better flavour, could peel the skin off maybe after they have roasted.

falconhell2002, Jan 6, 1:42am
Thats what I'm thinking I might do.Funny thing is I sort of squished a few when I was putting them in pot and picked a few skins out but didn't think it would bea good idea to take them all out.Duh!Well you live and learn.Have also got some home made strawberry ice cream on the go and am going to make some meringues (sp) with the egg whites.Yum.