Whos got pumpkin pie thats mouthwatering?

barloo, Apr 1, 12:44am
Tried my first ever pumpkin pie yesterday and it was nice! ! Whats your tried and true? Thankies!

cap, Apr 1, 1:34am
I would be interested too. I haven't made one for almost 20 years and that one was a disaster (it was some Weight Watchers recipe).

valentino, Apr 1, 4:53am
Here's mine...

Pumpkin Pie for trade me cooks

1 1/4 cups plain flour
100g unsalted butter chilled and cubed
2 tsp castor sugar
4 tbsp iced water

Filling;
750g butternut pumpkin cubed
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup cream
1 tbsp sweet sherry (Brandy can be used)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Sift flour into large bowl, rub in butter with fingertips until crumbly.
Mix in castor sugar.
Make a well and add almost all of the water and mix with a flat-bladed knife in a cutting motion until the mixture comes together in beads, adding more water if required.
Gather the dough together and lift out ont a lightly floured surface.
Press into a disc.
Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Roll out the pastry between two sheets of baking paper until large enough to line 18cm pie dish.
Line the dish with pastry, trim away the excess and crimp the edges with a fork.
Cover with plastic wrap and refigerate for another 20 minutes. Preheat oven 180C.
Cook the pumpkin in boiling water until tender.
Drain, mash, push through a sieve and leave to cool.
Line the pastry shell with baking paper and spread over with a layer of baking beads or rice.
Bake for 15 minutes then remove beads and paper a bake another 10 minutes or until golden.
Set aside to cool.
Whisk eggs and brown sugar together in large bowl.
Add cooled pumpkin, cream, sherry and the spices and stir thoroughly.
Pour into the baked pastry shell, smooth the surface and bake for an hour or until set.
If pastry over browns, cover the edges with foil.
Cool before serving.

Cheers and have a great Easter allTrade Me cooks contributors.

cap, Apr 1, 5:50am
Thanks. Sounds great. Now I just need the ingredients!

natalie9, Apr 1, 7:43am
Thanks valentino, I will definitely be trying this! ! Have never had pumpkin pie before and this sounds fab!

cookessentials, Apr 1, 8:03am
I have a traditional American one that has been in our family for some 40 odd years or more. It has evaporated milk with the pumpkin and the recipe was given to my Mum from a friend who was married to an Canadian.

cookessentials, Apr 1, 8:05am
Taken from the recipe section on our website
Joyce's Traditional Pumpkin Pie
This recipe has been in our family for over fourty years.
It was given to my Mother by a friend of hers who had lived in Canada and was married to a Canadian. The evaporated milk is traditionally used in American pumpkin pie and it makes an extremely delicious and easy to make dessert.
Ingredients:
500g pumpkin, peeled and cooked till tender
2 eggs
1 cup soft brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp mace
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp nutmeg
1 heaped tbsp plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
375ml can evaporated milk
Method:
Mix pumpkin, eggs, sugar, salt & spices in a food processor, wizz until well combined. Add flour and lastly add milk. Prepare a sweet short pastry ( I cheat and buy a frozen Irvine's pastry from the supermarket! ) into a greased, deep 23 cm pie dish. Bake at 200C for 35-40 minutes. Serve cold with whipped cream.

cap, Apr 1, 9:16pm
I have taken a note of that one too. Thanks!

andrea1978, Dec 24, 3:49pm
Yum! I have had pumpkin pie ONCE in my life (my dad made it) and it was obviously memorable because when I was pregnant years later I craved it! ! !