Brandy plums - plums gone brown!

picxie, Jan 1, 5:27am
I made brandy plums a few days ago and have noticed that some of the plums have gone brown - not the whole plum, just one side. Could it be that this was the side exposed to air at the top (I have been turning them a bit to dissolve the sugar). Or are these bad plums and should I take them out asap! I really don't want to waste all that brandy!

cookessentials, Jan 1, 5:33pm
Sounds like oxidisation to me. Usually you seal them and turn the jar, so perhaps opening them has affected them!

picxie, Jan 1, 10:35pm
The recipe was to fill a jar with plums (pricked a few times), then pour sugar over till about a third full of sugar, then fill the jar with brandy. Turn the jars over a few times to help dissolve the sugar (it's nearly dissolved now). The plums were tightly packed it but now they have shrunk a bit and have floated to the top, which does make it easier to shake them a bit to dissolve the rest of the sugar, but it does mean they aren't fully covered with brandy at the top as they have floated up. I'm a bit nervous as the brandy wasn't cheap and I don't want to have to throw it all away!