Pumpkin, how to ripen

kokopuff, Dec 30, 2:44am
I bought a buttercup pumpkin and cut a wedge out for dinner and it wasnt even ready. Is there any way to ripen it while its missing a wedge.

kassie48, Dec 30, 2:57am
Sprinkle flour on the cut part. Leave on a shelf

pickles7, Dec 30, 3:20am
I would return it, if you bought it from a food outlet. I return all fruits and vegetables now, if they are not fit to eat.

samsnan, Dec 30, 3:42am
kokopuff they are picking them long before they are ready to eat. Happens every year. Just wait a month or so and they will be better.

uli, Dec 30, 4:18am
You can't ripen them once they are cut off the vine.

Any pumpkins sold now are not ripe. They need at least till end of January or mid-February to have any taste. And especially in a La Nina year!

It is the yearly rip-off of the supermarkets! I am still eating mine from last season and they are lovely and sweet now.

P.S.:This will only stop if the consumers stop buying the unripe stuff.

kokopuff, Dec 30, 5:49am
Thanks everyone, I'm going to throw it in the compost heap. And i will just wait patiently for mine to ripen instead of buying one from the shop.

pickles7, Dec 30, 5:55am
They win, you loose.Take it back. They do know, when they are offered rubbish at a "good" price

uli, Dec 30, 5:58am
If you want to buy an early pumpkin then buy a cut one! That way you see how ripe it is. And rather than throw it onto the compost heap look at it like a courgette or marrow - and cook something with it!

uli, Dec 31, 3:01am
How did you go kokopuff!