Beetroot

angel404, Dec 28, 3:19am
Inherited 2 beetroot off the neighbour. Am currently roasting them. What should i do with them afterwards! Beetroot salad maybe! Anyone got any good ideas! Am having roast chicken for dinner, so maybe beetroot/rice salad!

sarahb5, Dec 28, 3:32am
You can eat them hot just as they are after you've roasted them

angel404, Dec 28, 3:36am
mmm i forgot to mention that i dont usually eat beetroot. maybe ill give it a go and see what i think of it

timetable, Dec 28, 3:40am
they make a lovely salad. google jamie olivers beetroot salad - it is divine!enjoy!

sarahb5, Dec 28, 3:42am
I love roast beetroot - I just roast it in with loads of other root vegetables and some zucchini and capsicum - delicious hot or cold

davidt4, Dec 28, 3:50am
Beetroot, Walnut and Ricotta Salad

4 beetroot
olive oil
3 tab red wine vinegar
salt and pepper
2 baby cos lettuce
½ c walnuts, roasted and broken roughly
250g ricotta or soft goat cheese or feta

Wrap the beetroot tightly in foil with1 tab vinegar, a little oil, salt, pepper and 2 tab water.Roast 1 hour until tender .Cool a little, peel and quarter.Place in a bowl with a little more oil and vinegar, salt and pepper.

Arrange lettuce on flat plate, beetroot on top,then walnuts, then lumps of ricotta.Drizzle with more oil and vinegar, salt and pepper.

davidt4, Dec 28, 3:52am
Beetroot Puree

150g onion thinly sliced
tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic crushed
3 tab red wine vinegar
50g tomato concasse
350g roasted beetroot sliced
1 tab cream
7 tab chicken stock

Sauté onion and garlic in oil 5 min.Add vinegar, deglaze, add tomato, beetrrot, salt & pepper.Cover and cook gently 1 hour.

Puree with cream and stock.

Serve as a side dish with roasted chicken, lamb chops, beef steaks.

davidt4, Dec 28, 3:53am
Beetroot & Yoghurt Dip

1 beetroot, cooked
125 ml tahini
2 tab olive oil
juice 1 -2 lemons
small clove garlic
salt & pepper
1 c thick yoghurt

Purée beetroot, add all but yoghurt and amalgamate well.Beat in yoghurt.

Serve in flat bowl with oil and diced cucumber on top.Serve with pita or Turkish bread or roasted cauliflower.

karenz, Dec 28, 3:58am
Cook potatoes androughly mash them using olive oil instead of butter and milk, add small amount of salt after mashing not to cooking water. Cut the (preferably warm) beetroot into chunks and soak in some balsamic vinegar, swirl the beetroot through the hot mashed potatoes ( a bit like boysenberry swirl icerream) don't mix in.You could probably do this with sour cream too instead of olive oil.

goatchickens, Dec 28, 8:24pm
I've never done roast beetroot myself, but love the taste of them.I have a heap of them growing this, and since it's been such a wet spring/summer so far, they are HUGE and the plants are going to seed (first time that's happened in 7 years of growing beetroot, which I usually make in chutneys and pickles).Can they be roasted if they're sort of 'overgrown'!

bev00, Dec 28, 9:47am
Sounds divine - will try. Thanks for the recipes.

geldof, Dec 28, 10:03am
Some of mine went to seed,and I tried cooking them.They were woody and inedible.

wildflower, Dec 29, 2:27am
I've got a beetroot hummus recipe that basically just swaps the chickpeas for beetroot.Got to try that this summer.

mjhdeal, Dec 29, 2:45am
The Revive Café's raw beetroot salad recipe in the Herald - I just made it. It's good. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm!c_id=6&objectid=10856488