Couscous :)

iicannseeyouu, Dec 22, 9:02am
I want to make a nice salad for Christmas lunch and dinner this year, i dont eat ham or turkey and wanted something vegetarian :) any recipes would be greatly appreciated! I love couscous and just dont no what to put with it

hezwez, Dec 22, 9:05am
I put finely chopped tomatoes, crushed garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, finely chopped red onion, olives, chopped mint, parsley, just about anything that takes your fancy.

iicannseeyouu, Dec 22, 9:06am
is the garlic olive oil and lemon juice like a dressing sort of thing!

seniorbones, Dec 22, 9:13am
you can also add roast veges, like red onion, potato, kumera, carrots, beetroot, garlic, zucchini, cut into bite size pieces, the oil and lemon keeps it moist as well as a nice flavour.

mercury14, Dec 22, 9:16am
Couscous when prepared add
couple teaspoons olive oil
2 Tb spoons real orange juice
1/2 cup shelled raw pistachio nuts
segments of 1 orange cut into bite sized bits
Corriander 1/2 cup chopped roughly
Yummy

hezwez, Dec 22, 9:17am
I suppose so, but I never mix them together first, just add them to taste, individually.

iicannseeyouu, Dec 22, 9:22am
I had seen this and it sounded yummy! is it lol!
and does it taste good cold or better warm!
(making me hungry)

patsy3, Dec 22, 9:24am
The best ever coucous base. It is a Jamie Oliver recipe, but dont be daunted. We just add what ever spices are about - fennel and coriander seeds are the key, fry up with the smashed onion and garlic, and stir thru the cooked couscous. Then serve with your roasted vegE. eVERYONE LOVES THIS.
spicy couscous
jamie oliver

425m1 stock or water
1 medium shallot or onion finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 knobs of butter
1 level teaspoon cumin seeds
1 heaped teaspoon coriander seeds
1 heaped teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 small dried chilli or to taste
1 teaspoon salt
1 bay leaf
1 clove of garlic finely chopped
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
255g couscous

Bring the stock to the boil. In a thick bottomed deepish pan slowly fry the shallot or onion with the olive oil and half the butter without colouring. In a pestle and mortar smash up the cumin coriander fennel chilli and salt. (If you haven`t got a pestle and mortar you can do this by spreading out a tea towel putting your spices in the middle folding the teatowel up and smashing it with a rollingpin or hammer. This works quite welt but be careful not to break anything)
Add the spices bay leaf and garlic to the onions and continue to fry they should look and feel like marmalade but not be coloured or burnt.
Add the vinegar and sugar and reduce to a syrup.
Add the couscous and stir.
Add the hot stock and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
Fork through the rest of the butter to tighten.
This may look complicated but it takes only 20 minutes to cook and is really easy.

This Recipe Serves 4

iicannseeyouu, Dec 22, 9:27am
can you buy the seedy things at the market!
I might have to make a list :)