Mini Pecan Pies Question!

chynna2, Dec 21, 7:20pm
Whenever I've made mini pecan pies in the past I always have lots of the sugar mixture left over!Do others get around this by making a double batch of the pastry, so you then have 32 pies!

vicki_r, Dec 21, 11:59pm
I found it kept ok in the fridge. From memory enough for a half batch of pastry cases.

wildebeest, Dec 22, 12:02am
yeah i always have heaps left! just use more pastry or my mum eats it over vanilla ice cream!

sunflower18, Dec 22, 12:47am
I just made some a couple of hours ago, and yes, had too much sugar mixture left over (threw it away.)Not only that, despite cooking the pies for longer than recommended, the sugar mixture is soggy, grrrrrr.

dollydot, Dec 22, 9:46am
I use the Jo Seagar recipe and yes, always have more mixture left so I just have more pastry on hand to make more then or next day.It keeps in the fridge for a day or two. One year i was a bit tired and put the butter measurement meant for the pastry into the sugar mixture so it was way too runny,I had to throw it out and start again. I don't make my own pastry for that but use sweet short pastry.They are always popular aren't they. When our children smell them baking they know it is Christmas!

chynna2, Dec 22, 10:03am
My pies are on their last five minutes right now!(Had unexpected guests today, which put my time out by four hours LOL!)I managed to use most of the mixture by making 20 pies, so hopefully the pastry is thick enough - time will tell!

Thanks for everyone's input :-)

chynna2, Dec 22, 10:49am
The pies turned out good.

However, for future reference, the pies cooked in the non-stick tin cooked better (more golden) than the ones in the silicone tin - both tins were cooked for the same amount of time.Although If I hadn't lined the non-stick tins with baking paper I don't think I'd have got them all out in one piece.