Easy ham/chicken glazes, first-timer, pls help!

nunesy, Dec 21, 6:23pm
I'm not very well at present, but have a lovely English friend here for Christmas, and am hosting Christmas lunch for her and my sister.I need to keep it simple but want to make it special for all of us as in the past Christmas day has been difficult.I'm not too bad with making veges and salads taste good but the meat scares me! I would like to do a ham and a roast chicken but have never cooked either before.I have trawled through the Recipe thread and there are many fab options but all seem very intense and complex. any help on ways to make my meats taste great would be MUCH appreciated.Thanks.

chynna2, Dec 21, 7:27pm
I'm doing this glaze.One of the deli ladies at Pak 'n Save told me that's how they do their glazes - so easy!

Ingredients
1 cup of apricot jam
Half a cup of brown sugar

Method
Place brown sugar and jam in a saucepan and dissolve.Glaze ham with the syrup mix.

The glaze should still be thick, and not runny (as it will "run off" the ham otherwise!).

chynna2, Dec 21, 7:31pm
Roast chicken is easy.I always do mine in an oven bag, and it keeps the moisture in the meat (you can even buyfreshchickens already in an oven bag so you don't have a mess!).Just cook the chicken for slightly less time than the pack says to as the bag cooks it faster.I test the chicken is cooked by stabbing a skewer or knife through the thickest part of the chicken (usually the highest breast part).

I sometimes stuff my chickens with packaged stuffing mix (add water to the mix - simple and easy), and use toothpicks to close the hole so the stuffing can't spill out.

illusion_, Dec 22, 3:34am
a jar of marmalade and a bit of whisky (gives that classic scottish flavour)

mix well,
stud the ham with whole cloves,
brush/spread on the glaze and baste occasionally during cooking. Put the remainder (if any) on when you take it out of the oven.

as you have never cooked one before . remove skin, score the fat in a criss/cross pattern and cook at maybe 160 degrees C for an hour to an hour and a half. What you are really trying to do is heat it through and cook in the glaze. The ham itself will almost certainly be already cooked when you buy it (you can use the taste method if you wish).

gardie, Dec 22, 3:53am
Mine is similar - half a jar of apricot jam and 2 heaped tablespoons whole seed mustart - you get the sweetness but with savoury as well.

nunesy, Dec 22, 5:54pm
sounds good, esp the mustard combo, thanks all!(And for the 'how to' advice illusion, appreciated!)