What to decorate a sticky date pudding with!ideas!

dibble35, Dec 19, 6:27pm
Hi, I have some very talented family that go to a lot of effort everytime they make food for our family get togethers - cake decorations are amazing and everything always looks so good. I'm trying to make more of an effort this year but having recently lost my job i'm on a tight budget. I have all the ingrediants I need to make a sticky date pudding with the caramel sauce, as this is super rich anyway I dont want to be adding whipped cream or anything to sweet to the top but how can i present it so that it looks really nice. I've recently seen a cake (on Tv i think) that had some lime peel curls placed/piled in the centre and then dusted with icing sugar. liked the look of that but dont have gadget to make the curls, thanks

lilyfield, Dec 19, 6:41pm
dates and walnuts. you can make the lime or lemon curls with a potatoe peeler. Take of strips lenghtwise, then slice very very finely, drop into iced water, they will curl. Do this as late as possible- and have a practice run with a lemon. orange rind is also good with dates

dibble35, Dec 19, 7:21pm
ooohhh. like the sound of orange rindand dates, little bit of icing sugar to brighten it up and with the orange, nice and colourful, yes will have to practice before hand, thanks :-)

bams1, Dec 19, 8:28pm
what about some edible starsand glitter - pretty cheap at the super market and some shaved ( with the potato peeler) white choc

rainrain1, Dec 19, 10:10pm
something leafy green, keep it simple, less is more in the end

susieq9, Dec 19, 10:32pm
Perhaps a small palm tree shape or a leaf that looks like one and a few dates underneath.

dibble35, Dec 19, 11:48pm
all great ideas, I was thinking a fake bit of holly with the red berries and dusted with icing sugar would look simple and great. $2 shop or similar for the fake holly .maybe. Will have to go look tomorrow when I let myself near the shops - end up spending to much money when I go so keeping away from them at moment, other than petrol havnt bought anything for 5days now, but have to go tomorrow as running out of milk and want to get the last few bits and pieces for xmas

seniorbones, Dec 19, 11:48pm
if you got a stencil place on the cake, then sprinkled it with icing sugar lift the stencil and you have the 'picture' of whatever your stencil was, if its a palm tree put chocolates at the bottom to look like dates! if you dont have a stencil you could cut out a picture and place on top of the cake and do the same thing.