Failed Fudge

ellie_m, Dec 18, 11:22pm
My russian fudge failed to set and was really grainy - any suggestions on what I can do with it now so that its now wasted! TIA

alewis, Dec 19, 12:39am
mix it in with ice cream or crumble on top

crumble and throw it into a slice exchange it for sugar

elliehen, Dec 19, 12:47am
.and if you ever want to try another, try this :)

CREAMY, NO-BEAT NEVER-FAIL FUDGE
Bring to boil on medium heat stirring ALL the time:
1 cup brown sugar
125 gm butter (room temp so you're not starting from rock hard)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon golden syrup

Simmer on low for ten minutes, stirring ALL the time all around the pot to prevent little brown bits forming

Remove from heat and quickly stir in till melted 100 gms Whittaker's white chocolate (stir quickly but don't over-mix or it won't pour out smoothly)

Pour into 20 cm square tin lined with baking paper

Do not cut until completely cold for neat edges (the chocolate needs time to set)

Variations:

+ Ginger - add 1-2 teaspoons ground ginger at the start and then add half a packet of chopped preserved ginger at the end.

+ Walnut -Stir in 1 cup chopped walnuts and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence at the end after adding the white chocolate.

ellie_m, Dec 19, 1:01am
thanks elliehen, auckland_ali - its rather soft so it wont crumble and I am hoping to find something I can use it in ie slice as it is for xmas gift jars :)

chatsmom, Dec 19, 1:17am
If fudge goes grainy it means that it hasn't dissolved properly before boiling.
You can put back on and reheat and see if sugar melts again-if it does then boil until soft boil and it should set.
The other issue often with russian fudge is it won't set if made on a humid day.

dbab, Dec 19, 1:57am
Turn it into truffles.

bisloy, Dec 19, 8:40am
Pour over icecream! Pour over brownies . . .

treeop2, Dec 19, 8:56am
i had the same thing last year. I made a giant batch too, so used half for caramel slice (find a standard caramel slice recipe, all you need to make is the biscuit base, pour the fudge over that and top with choc.

With the other half i made rumballs (without rum of course). Added 2 packets of finely crushed wine biscuits, cocoa, mixed and rolled the balls in dessicated coconut.

I think you can use it for almost any recipe that uses sweetened condensed milk

harrislucinda, Dec 23, 8:29am
yesimade this todayIthought toomuchcondensedmilkascouldtastemilk flavoranddidnotsetvery softso willrollintoballstheninto coconut