Cooking sago on the stovetop, hows it done!

dibble35, Dec 18, 11:04pm
Have done this before and it turned out lovely but now cant find recipe. Only have one for doing in oven which takes 2 hours. Do I just add more milk to the same recipe or hows it done, thanks

davidt4, Dec 18, 11:25pm
I take it that you mean a sago custard.Here's a nice one that works well.
(If you are in fact referring to lemon sago let me know as I have an excellent recipe for that from Alexa Johnston's puddings book.)

Sago Custard Pudding

50g sago 

1/4c sugar 

2 eggs, separated 

1 tsp vanilla
 extract
600ml milk or coconut milk

Simmer the sago and milk for 20 mins (it will expand and go transperant but you don't want it soft and soggy)

Take a small amount of sago out of the pot and put into another bowl, pour the beaten egg yolks into the bowl with the small amount of sago in it, then add the whole lot back to the main pot - really important that you don't pour the eggs straight into the pot or you will get scrambled eggs!
Bring back to the boil and add the sugar and vanilla extract.
Remove from the heat and fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites. The mixture at this point will become very light and fluffy and double in size.

Serve cool or chilled.

dibble35, Dec 18, 11:36pm
that sounds really good, just cleaned out the pantry and got out all the stuff that needs eating - got nephew helping and hes a big fan of sago pudding, so we will make that this afternoon, thanks

dibble35, Dec 19, 12:31am
Was so yummy, didnt wait till it cooled down, still warm straight into a bowl .My nephew said he would make it again so thats high praise indeed. I left him to the stirring on the stove while I mowed the lawns, kept him busy for 1/2 hr and out of trouble, very nice indeed thankyou.

davidt4, Dec 19, 3:32am
I'm glad you enjoyed it dibble35.It's nice to get some feedback.

karen, Feb 25, 4:40am
Do you have to soak the sago as it has been cooking about 20 minutes and still feels lightly hard in the centre when I let it sit in my mouth ?