Advice please re cheesecake

mac81, Dec 18, 9:45pm
Hello all, i intend making a cheesecake with the ready made tararua cheesecake mix, would it be ok to add some whipped up egg white to give it a bit of volume do you think or would it not blend well, anyone know please!

wheelz, Dec 18, 9:46pm
use cream instead

245sam, Dec 18, 9:52pm
mac81, if I remember correctly the cheesecake mix is already sweetened! but does your recipe include sugar!If so, I'm thinking that you could fold in egg whites, beaten with sugar, in the same way as in the following recipe.
If there is no sugar in your recipe, IMO you would need to be very careful that the egg whites were beaten enough, but not too much, for them to blend in well, otherwise wheelz's advice to use whipped cream would I believe, be a 'safer' option.

HEAVENLY CHEESECAKE - always popular whenever I make it so I hope you will try it and enjoy it too.
Crumb Crust:
1 packet plain biscuits, crushed
170g butter, melted

Combine the biscuits and butter, then spread evenly into a 22·5cm (9”) springform tin and up the sides. Chill while preparing the Filling:
1 tbsp gelatine
250g cream cheese
¾ cup sugar
3 eggs
¼ cup each of water, lemon juice and milk
pinch salt

Blend the gelatine with the water and lemon juice, then set it aside. Combine the cream cheese, ½ cup sugar, beaten egg yolks, milk and salt. Cook over simmering water for 10 minutes, then blend in the gelatine mixture. Cool the mixture.
Beat 3 egg whites, gradually adding the remaining ¼ cup sugar, until soft peaks form. Fold this into cheese mixture and pour the filling carefully into crumb crust. Refrigerate.
If desired, pile whipped cream on top and serve as a dessert or as a cake with coffee.
This is nicest at least 1 day old, and freezes well too. :-))

mac81, Dec 18, 9:56pm
Thank you!I think I will give your recipe a bash!Many thanks.

245sam, Dec 18, 10:02pm
You're very welcome and good on you mac81!
I'm sure you won't find it to be difficult to make - that recipe is the one I used for my first ever very successful attempt at making a cheesecake which I had always thought was way too difficult to do.
:-))

sarahb5, Dec 18, 10:21pm
Definitely better than raw egg white but once you start whipping that cheesecake mix the volume increases anyway.I've used it before and whip it first then fold in cream flavoured with hot chocolate powder but don't fold it in completely so you get a marbled effect, so swirl it rather than fully fold

deus701, Dec 18, 10:38pm
If raw egg white is a concerned, you can try using an italian meringue, which is basically egg white cooked with sugar syrup. It also more forgiving to overfolding/beating. It is used quite regularly in mousse cakes (eggwhites are cheaper and helps to save cost compared to cream, etc)

pickles7, Dec 18, 11:29pm
You could add some custard, this custard recipe was born last year, I had so many egg yolks to use up.
I probably would use as much as 2 cups of it, add more lemon juice/ grated rind.

egg yolk custard

put into a bowl
6 egg yolks, 1/3 cup of cornflour, whisk in 1 cup of milk.
set aside.
Put in a saucepan
1 & 1/4 cups of whole milk, 2 tsp vanilla
sprinkle over the milk 2/3 cup of sugar
Do not stir, put on stove and watch for it to simmer.
Add a little hot milk into the cold, while whisking, maybe half, then pour it back into the saucepan, return to the heat. I turned my element down by 1/4.
stir with a wooden spoon until it is nice and thick.
This custard sets real fast, as soon as I noticed it thickening I removed it from the stove, kept whisking while it finished cooking.
I have covered it with cling film to stop it skinning over

245sam, Dec 18, 11:40pm
pickles7, sugestion/advice re adding some custard reminded me of this cheesecake which actually has a custard base.

CREAMY COFFEE PIE/CHEESECAKE
Crust:
¾ packet wholemeal or malt / maltmeal biscuits, crushed
85g (3oz) butter, melted

Mix the butter and the biscuit crumbs together well, then press the mixture into a 23cm (9”) pie plate and refrigerate.

Filling:
1 tbsp gelatine
2 tbsp water
2 eggs, separated
½ cup sugar
1 cup milk
2 tsp instant coffee
½ cup (125g) cream cheese

Add the gelatine to the water. Leave to stand for 5 minutes.
In a double boiler or basin mix the egg yolks, half of the sugar and the milk. Stir over hot water until the custard coats the back of spoon, then add the coffee and the gelatine and stir until dissolved. Cool.
Beat the cream cheese until soft, then gradually add the cooled custard.
Beat the egg whites and the remaining sugar until stiff, then fold the meringue-like mixture into the setting custard mixture. Pour the filling mixture into the biscuit crust and set it in the refrigerator. Decorate with whipped cream and kiwifruit or strawberries.
Serves: 4-6
Note: This cheesecake freezes well and can also be made in individual portion-sized containers e.g. yoghurt pottles.:-))