Quick Poll Re: "Healthy Food Guidelines"

Page 2 / 2
motorbo, Mar 31, 4:23am
na, cos i love my salt lol and i dont eat all the carbs they state, i do eat plenty of meat, fish, veg, fruit though and i rarely touch dairy

buzzy110, Mar 31, 4:34am
I think that no one follows those guideline so in terms of running a straw poll I think the question needs to be asked another way. For instance, whilstlow carbers know exactly what they are eating and make very specific food choices for excellent health returns, most people just eat what they feel like. Most people will probably have one or two pasta meals dinners a week, will always have a potato if not eating pasta or rice and will have some sort of sandwich for lunch.

What the Food Lies thread is getting at is these same people will probably choose margarine type spreads over healthy butter, will probably make some effort to remove as much liquid and solid fat as they can or buy low fat meats, will have more chicken than high quality red meat and will be drinking low fat milk or (and this is even worse), blue top milk. Many do, (if the recipes dished out here are anything to go by) will use simmer sauces and packet mixes and stocks to flavour their foods. These things are always low fat, use cheap vegetable oils with no omega 3 and, oh what's the use of going on? No one will follow the diet.

Why not ask people if they eat at least 40% saturated fat per calories, don't drink diet/regular softdrinks or fruit juices, know how to cook primary produce without resorting to packets of powders and restrict their grain intake to less than one serve a day and ensure it is fermented, yada yada yada.

vintagekitty, Mar 31, 4:36am
I dont think people cant be bothered, I know I come on this board for the recipes not the whole "this is good for you, this isnt debate"

buzzy110, Mar 31, 4:41am
I was talking to someone in the weekend who told me they had cut their carbs and didn't eat much fat. I asked what they ate.

For breakfast was a fruit smoothie with bush honey yoghurt and a bowl of cornflakes with blue top milk! Lunch is always fresh fruit and a fruit drink. For dinner they had at least 4 meals of pasta a week with canned sauce or a small serving of fish or chicken with rice and salad with a dressing made from bush honey yoghurt, liquid honey, oil and vinegar.

They may have cut the bread but they were sure as anything compensating. They love crackers with their pre-dinner drinks and cheese.

So all those who say they don't eat as many as the guideline recommend carbsthey are just kidding themselves.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 31, 4:45am
Lol Buzzy!
It's obvious the government is wasting it's time - and our money!
Maybe they should just make it everyone's personal responsibility if they want to be healthier.

lyl_guy, Mar 31, 5:39am
I think that was one of my points in this... . people don't really care about 'the guidelines', they eat what they like, and what makes them feel good... . also what they were brought up with.

lyl_guy, Mar 31, 5:42am
Yes! ! But after what I've been reading lately, they probably need to update themselves on the whole 'healthy foods' debate. (the government, that is)

uli, Mar 31, 8:02am
I guess the American government will be the first who update - otherwise a lot of people will sue their socks off once they realise that their recommendations made them ill ...

elliehen, Mar 31, 8:08am
vintagekitty, you have a point. And disheartening as it might be for those who do want the debates, 'most' people not only do not read this blog, they do not even know it exists!

greerg, Apr 1, 10:33pm
To some degree but have thought about them and modified them to something that makes me feel healthy so don't attempt the 6 grain servings and do have a little more protein than I "should". Unlikethe true lo-carbers I do not eat a great deal of fat and I do eat quite a bit of fruit. Have excellent blood sugar and lipid levels am not overweight and feel good on this regime. I think its about finding the best balance for you.

jan2242, Apr 1, 10:47pm
No from me too. If I ate what they recommend I would be far bigger than what I am.

elliehen, Apr 1, 11:03pm
greerg, a lot of people in my small world eat this way and feel as fit and trim as you.

Thinking intelligently about what you eat is not the sole prerogative of 'true lo-carbers'... Quote from poster #29: "whilst low carbers know exactly what they are eating and make very specific food choices for excellent health returns, most people just eat what they feel like. "

I don't know who these 'most people' are, or how one can guess so wildly and generally - unless they are 'most' of the poster's friends, neighbours, relatives? ?

buzzy110, Apr 2, 5:25am
lol ellie. Not really guessing here. Indigo1 and lyl_guy have both posted information about the diets of the patients that they encounter and indeed it does appear as if their patients eat what they feel like.

Lo carbers are not the only people making healthy choices. Others choose foods specifically with their health and well being in mind. However, others make choices based more on what they like, want to eat, feel capable of preparing and/or think they can afford.

For instance, the budget meal threads, asking for cheap and easy foods, I see popping up in here every so often, may have one or two suggestions of sterling worth but most are not much better than junk food with no aspirations to health or balance at all.

Why do people think they deserve to treat themselves as no better than mobile rubbish bins I wonder?

buzzy110, Apr 2, 5:30am
What's worse are the threads started by doting mothers asking for foods for students. When it comes to educating their children, people will not flinch at paying tens of thousands of dollars for a university education but balk at teaching their darling offspring how to prepare and cook a healthy, well balanced dinnertime meal. And yet, the decent meal wouldn't take anymore effort or money than the crappy stodge and packet foods they encourage their children to prepare.

elliehen, Apr 2, 7:01am
Those are two valid views, yes, but a point I made earlier was that though while posting we might feel we are reaching a large readership, the number of people who actually read this blog, or even know it exists, is infinitesimal. I have even encountered long-term Trade Me members who have not yet found the Messageboards.

Your 'most people' could be a very, very tiny number indeed.

starcat1, Apr 5, 1:01am
yes myself and the kids would follow the guidelines farily closely, we would eat at least 6 serves of fruit and vege lean meat is the most eaten here all fat trimmed, everyone gets their daily requirement of dairy (not low fat though but plain yoghurt proper cheese and butter) and cereals, baking is kept as a treat, we dont cook with salt, we use a steamer for veges, most food is prepared at home, we dont buy processed snacks we eat fruit between meals. we all get plenty of exercise, i dont drink much alcohol. water and milk are the only drinks we have.

buzzy110, Apr 5, 3:38am
lol elliehen. I agree. These boards are not well known. However, if our threads reach just one person and makes them evaluate what they have been told forever about fat, salt, grains, red & white meat, eggs and vegetable oils, then it will have been worthwhile.

We have discussed this among ourselves and realise that the groundswell of change will only occur one person at a time. That is good enough for me.

maxwell.inc, Jan 21, 2:58pm
David Sums up the whole "healthy food guidelines" quite nicely in this entry ... and yes its relevant to NZ as we use Aussies guide lines.

http://www.raisin-hell.com/2010/04/big-fat-lies.html