Gingerbread and/or shortbread

ellie_m, Dec 16, 2:54am
How long do these keep for, and also does anyone have any fantastic easy recipes for them! I am doing homemade xmas prezzies consisting of jars of fudge and shortbread/gingerbread. TIA

nauru, Dec 16, 3:03am
Shortbread - I always use the recipe from my the Bero (British flour brand name) book.
250g plain flour,75g caster sugar, 175g butter. Mix flour & sugar and rub in butter.Knead to a smooth paste. Roll out and cut into fingers or rounds or any shape you wish.Put on a prepared baking tray and bake @ 160 C for 20-25 minutes.

I make this in my foodprocessor, just put everything in together and process, continue as in recipe. Sometimes I use 200g flour and 50g rice flour.I lke the end result.

ellie_m, Dec 16, 3:20am
how long does it keep! as I plan on making and putting all the jars together this weekend but I dont want them going off before people can eat them

nauru, Dec 16, 3:31am
Not long in our house.Seriously, it keeps well so this weekend should be OK.Last year I gave it as presents and made it all the week before Christmas so I had plenty of time to gift package and it was all good.

lodgelocum, Dec 16, 4:40am
If you store them in a sealed jar, they will keep for a week or so, made this weekend they should still be good as.Nothing worse than 'soft' shortbread lol

figjamto, Dec 17, 4:29am
There is a Christmas Spice Shorbread recipe on the NZ Herald on line, food section that looks nice.was going to try it myself this week