Marzipan question.

2young1, Dec 15, 8:06am
have never bought the stuff or used it. thats the thick icing stuff around fruitcake. sorry really green here. (actually thats leads to the main question lol).want to make some holly leaves to decorate xmas iced cup cakes. how do you colour the marzipan.! do you go buy block of the marzipan and just work some green food coloring thru. does it work thru evenly! or need some tips!

sarahb5, Dec 15, 8:14am
Yes - just keep kneading it until it's worked all through although I think I'd probably use fondant icing and not marzipan but that's because no-one in this house likes marzipan except me

shop-a-holic, Dec 15, 8:22am
Mazipan is the almond icing (yellow in colour) underneath the icing on top, which is fondant.
70% of the population don't like mazipan.

I never use almond icing.

2young1, Dec 15, 8:24am
arr thats what I meant. fondant icing. thanks!

cat286, Dec 15, 8:24am
Or you can make your own fondant - really easy and tastes much better. http://www.seddy5.typepad.com/blog/2010/05/how-to-make-marshmallow-fondant.html

cookessentials, Dec 15, 8:34am
If you want to colour your fondant, buy a gel colouring as ordinary food colouring ( like Hansells) are just too watery for your fondant. A gel colour should be added a little at a time ( use a skewer) and add a tiny bit and knead it in well. Add in a little at a time until you get the colour you desire.