food to boost magnesium?

a_n_h, Mar 29, 5:49am
i have been told my magnesium( i am pretty sure thats what they said. had just come out of a general anasethetic so pretty foggy) levels are low and i should try to boost them. who has some good tips for boosting magnesium?

bedazzledjewels, Mar 29, 6:04am
Yes, supplement with it. Available online here -
It is very important that your levels are normal.

http://www.johnappleton.co.nz/categories/Magnesium/

a_n_h, Mar 29, 6:08am
i take centrum and will be getting something else aswell tonight at the supermarket.

tabby1, Mar 29, 6:48am
I have a glass of complan everyday, made with milk. I use lite milk and its fine, give a good dosage of all vitamins and minerals needed. Comes in a few different flavours. Double choc my favourite

red2, Mar 29, 9:04pm
Have a look here www.magnesiumrichfoods.com

maxwell.inc, Mar 29, 9:25pm
Bedaz... Appletons is Mag Citrate... not a good form for the body. . in fact it can end up toxic in the long run (this form is normally used and sold as a laxative). .

The absolute BEST magnesium sup you can take is Magnesium Malate. . it contains Malic Acid as well its the on that does the best job in the body... and mag is very important to me as I cant store and utilize it like you normal folk can. . so having the best is important...

Normal Folk trying to up their Mag levels need at least 400mg Mag Malate a day ( I need 1200mg)

marywea, Mar 29, 10:39pm
Bananas are good food source.

a_n_h, Mar 29, 10:58pm
thanks all. unfortunatly i cant stand bananas. but i will check out that website and see what else i can find.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 29, 11:32pm
Aha Maxwell - that's interesting.
I've been taking it for a while now. Eades recommends it along with your one.

Do you have a brand name and amounts of elemental magnesium content please? Ta.

maxwell.inc, Mar 30, 12:08am
http://www.vitacost.com/Source-Naturals-Magnesium-Malate

thats the one I use. . I take quite a few. . its the only one I have found that contains a decent amount of Malic Acid (essential for fibro) Plus the correct Mag.

buzzy110, Mar 30, 12:23am
Some interesting information about dietary magnesium from this site:

http://www.womenrepublic.co. uk/diet_fitness/minerals/magnesi
um.htm

"Magnesium is an important mineral involved in a wide variety of body processes and functions. Not only is it essential for energy production and protein formation but it also helps maintain strong bones and a healthy heart. Magnesium also works with calcium and potassium to transmit nerve signals and facilitate muscle contraction.

The mineral magnesium can be found in red meat, tofu, spinach, beans and pulses. Nuts, seeds and wholemeal bread are also good sources of magnesium.

Failure to consume enough magnesium from your food is unlikely. However, magnesium deficiency can be caused by excessive vomiting, kidney disease, diuretic medication, alcohol abuse, and anything else that inhibits the absorption of nutrients.

A lack of magnesium in the body will cause levels of calcium to fall, and eventually result in an adverse effect on the circulatory system and the production of blood cells. "

buzzy110, Mar 30, 12:30am
While supplementation may be a good short term solution to your problem it is important that the supplement includes whatever components are necessary to help your body absorb it.

To demonstrate what I am trying to say - Iron supplements that do not include folic acid and vitamin B12 are next to useless and will only be excreted without ever entering into your system.

buzzy110, Mar 30, 12:36am
So a further search has revealed this:

"Numerous magnesium dietary supplements are available. Magnesium oxide, one of the most common because it has high magnesium content per weight, has been reported to be the least bioavailable. Magnesium citrate has been reported as more bioavailable than oxide or amino-acid chelate (glycinate) forms. "

buzzy110, Mar 30, 12:37am
I am curious though. Why have you not had good advice and possibly a prescription to help you replenish your magnesium levels?

2halls, Dec 16, 1:14pm
Post anaesthetic it is more likely that they said "potassium" is low, but I would check it out with your Dr ... :-)