WHAT DOES BALSAMIC VINEGAR TASTE LIKE!

heav3, Dec 8, 8:24am
id like to try it but not keen to buy a bottle if it tastes yucky.

radark, Dec 8, 8:26am
whoa it just tastes like vinegar.more malty and rich.u seriously have never tasted it! anywhere!

heav3, Dec 8, 8:39am
lol,not at all.Is it sweet.

245sam, Dec 8, 8:40am
heav3,balsamic vinegar definitely does not taste "yucky". It has a far more pleasant taste than any other vinegar such as malt, white, cider vinegar - IMO it is sweeter whilst not actually being sweet.To learn more about balsamic vinegar have a read of the info' at:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balsamic_vinegar

Hope that helps and that you will "buy a bottle" - I would be very surprised if you regretted doing so.:-))

heav3, Dec 8, 8:50am
So where do you buy this balsamic reduction stuff or whatever it is.

seniorbones, Dec 8, 9:15am
its a thicker syrupy balsamic and I have it on most savoury things, love it on bacon or sausages even on fresh asparagus.its devine.

kuaka, Dec 8, 9:27am
Ha, don't know how old o/p is, but I'm in my 60s and have never tasted it either.Often wondered what it's like and whether I should try it or not. Okay, going to put it on my shopping list for the next shopping trip.

purplegoanna, Dec 8, 9:39am
i love it so much nicer that malt vinegar.

purplegoanna, Dec 8, 9:42am
one of my fav brunch recipes, cook asparagras spears,place on hot plate,soft boil an egg and use gloves to peel then slice quickly in half so the egg yolk runs over the spears, carefully place 6-7 drops of balsamic vinegar into the egg yolk and serve.its yummy.

kuaka, Dec 8, 9:44am
That sounds okay apart from the runny egg yolk - might have a wee problem with that, not sure.It might be okay, but doesn't sound right to me.

purplegoanna, Dec 8, 9:49am
nah not too runny just softly cooked so its still slightly runny in the very middle of the yolk.trust me i would normally hate this type of concoction but i like it.

elliehen, Dec 8, 10:00am
A little shake of balsamic vinegar is delicious on tomatoes too.It doesn't grab the back of the throat the way malt vinegar does ;)

lost-in-oz, Dec 8, 12:01pm
drizzled over chargrilled vegetables is really nice too.

even a very small amount over strawberries, just makes them taste so much nicer.

ruby19, Dec 8, 6:02pm
You won't find this at the supermarket but if you do come across it grab a bottle it is Pukara Caramalized balsamic vinegar, it is wonderful. Lovely sprinkled over tomatoes, salads roast veggies, great when cookingcaramelized onions. It is a sweeter balsamic.

lythande1, Dec 8, 6:18pm
Cross between syrup and vinegar. Not really like vinegar. Hard to explain really, buy reasonable stuff, not the ultra cheap stuff. It gets thicker with age.

kay141, Dec 8, 7:01pm
It is also lovely sprinkled on strawberries. Just the balsamic vinegar, no sugar or cream.

davidt4, Dec 8, 7:23pm
The more it costs the better the quality as a rule.The cheap balsamic vinegars are okay for putting into a casserole, but they are not aged and don't have much complexity of flavour.For using with strawberries, tomatoes or in purplegoanna's nice egg dish, it is best to use good quality aged balsamic vinegar from Modena.It's not as extravagant as it seems because you don't need very much.

nauru, Dec 10, 7:13am
I agree, balsamic and tomatoes straight from the garden, yum.

southerngurl, Dec 10, 8:43am
omg drizzled over strawberries, or tomatos on toast, or as a dressing of a salad. or in olive oil as a dip. soooooooo many different ways