Need a really good icing recipe :)

hefalump2, Feb 2, 8:55am
As the title says ;) Am after one that is like the "frosting" (quite thick and fluffy iykwim) they use in america for a princess castle i'm making for my foster daughters 4th birthday, can anyone please help?

harrislucinda, Feb 2, 9:02am
frostingismadefromeggwhitesaquickoneis1cup sugar1eggwhiteputsugarand1/4 cup watereggwhiteinpanandcookoverboilingwaterbeatconstantlyuntilthickaddvanillaess

245sam, Feb 2, 9:03am
hefalump2, have you tried doing a Google search? Here's a recipe that I found from doing a Google Search for 'frosting recipe'... . .

"VANILLA FROSTING
2 1/2 sticks (10 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
5 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 to 2 tablespoons milk

1. In a large bowl, using a mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Add the confectioners' sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. Add the vanilla and 1 tablespoon milk. Beat at high speed until fluffy, adding an additional 1 tablespoon milk if necessary. "

This recipe is from:-
http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-re
cipe-index/dessert-recipes/Vanilla-Frosting

Hope that helps. :-))

hefalump2, Feb 2, 9:10am
Thanks heaps for that guys :) 245sam, I did a google search but there were so many different types I didn't have a clue which was the type I was after ;) Is confectioner's sugar available in supermarkets? or do they mean Icing sugar?

elliehen, Feb 2, 9:13am
'Confectioner's sugar' equals 'icing sugar' in the USA :)

hefalump2, Feb 2, 9:16am
Awesome, thanks :) I looked at that link and that icing/frosting looks perfect! ! !

elliehen, Feb 2, 9:23am
... And just a postscript on the subject of sugar. Ordinary white sugar in the US has smaller crystals than here, more like caster sugar, so if you're following a US cake recipe, for perfect results it might pay to whizz your NZ sugar in the blender first.

245sam, Jul 25, 8:56am
That's great hefalump2 - I hope you have fun creating your foster daughter's special cake, and that it's a very Happy Birthday for the little girl. :-))