Meat on the BBQ for Xmas

bexta021, Nov 28, 8:35am
Does anyone have any tips or pointers for cooking meat on the bbq.We are thinking of cooking a piece of lamb and beef for our xmas dinner this year.We have a 'rotisory' on the BBQ.

suzanna, Nov 28, 1:04pm
Will bump an excellent thread for you which contains a wealth of information.

fisher, Nov 28, 8:23pm
It depends on you BBQ. is it hooded. 6 burners. !
The idea is slow cooking, so I use the outside burners only with the meat in roasting dishes laid on top on a bed of rosemary sprigs. usual herbs and salt / pepper.
You can fire up the next two inners later to crisp up if needed.
If you were only doing one meat. I would use the rotisserie for nice even cooking and less time. anything loose should be tied up to eleviate flopping. try to get the skewer as central as possible.for both of those meats,pour some olive oil into a glass. now fine chop some fresh rosemary and mix in. cut some longer stalks of rosemary and bind together with a tie. use this as a brush to baste the meat every so often.
Enjoy your Xmas. not long now.

duckmoon, Nov 29, 8:37am
If you want lamb, I would get a butterflied leg of lamb .

Cooks in between 35 and 50 minutes

beaker59, Nov 29, 10:37am
Fisher is on to it with the rotiserie but I suggest you start with a smaller one for practice I did witness a minor disaster with a friend who tried a large rolled roast beef which got a bit incendiary next one he did was fine once he got used to the controls. I am a Kettle BBQ fan and also had a small conflagration involving a small covered deck (ain't insurance a wonderful thing) after the fat off a leg of mutton got away on me. Priceless though when sitting down to a nice dinner and a guest says "I think the deck might be on fire" (got to remember to replace lid when taking the meat off)

Not intended to scare you off doing BBQ roasts its not hard but you are dealing with a larger piece of meat therefore more fat and also longer cooking time.

I always do a large shoulder of pork on my webber for xmass. I use good charcoal and roast for 4 hours the meat is tender and suculent with crunchy crackling and being over charcoal you get a layer of pink under the surface with a gorgeous smoky flavour.

kuaka, Nov 29, 10:56am
I can see how that would be "priceless" but it was downright scary when hubby decided he couldn't be bothered to row ashore to smoke a fish in the little smoker, so decided to do it in the cockpit of the yacht.Next thing the wind has blown the meths and flames out of the little try under the smoker and the piece of plywood which hubby had put on the cockpit floor to protect it suddenly burst into flames.

fogs, Nov 29, 11:19am
We have a roast pork on the rotiserie on the hooded barbie for xmas dinner also have roast veges by buying one of those tin foil roasting pans and putting under the spit so they collect the yummy meat drips. I would say the most important thing we have is a meat thermomiter (sp) so we can check the internal temp as they always take longer than you think and the only way to be sure is temp

bexta021, Nov 30, 1:56am
Thankyou for all your advise.

seniorbones, Nov 30, 2:00am
STOP IT! your making me hungry!.sounds so delicous I love pork.