Low carb ideas

garfeild101, Nov 25, 4:16am
Im doing low carb as advised by my doctor for my illness not by choice.
I love carbs but have run out of ideas, i like quiches and scrambled eggs, fruit smoothies and whole fruit, veges, meat , dairy.
Question is, is low carb the same (in respect to being low carb) as Gluten Free! Ie does gluten free bread mix/pasta etc gluten free in general is it low carb!
I like making pizza using wholemeal tortillas as a base too but not sure if im low carbing as such, I have cut out bread/rolls, pasta and rice and potatoes too.

garfeild101, Nov 25, 4:17am
I wana bake too so will have to find alternatives like a muffin mix etc and use wholegrain stuff will that be ok!

uli, Nov 25, 4:29am
There are lots of low carb threads on here garfeild - just use the search function on the left. Both in recipes and in health.

Basically you have to decide how low carb you want to go. 20g a day or 50g or how much!

Then you have to learn the carb content of foods (there are carb counters online - google it) and then you can weigh your foods and calculate the carb content online. That is a few weeks of misery and then you know what you are doing.

Basically sugar, honey, syrup etc is 100% carbs, most starchy things are 70 to 95% carbs (pasta, rice, flour, cereals, rice, oats, all grains, potatoes, everything made from it too - cakes, bread etc etc). Also fruit and fruit juice is pretty high in carbs, as it soft drinks and of course alcohol like beer.

There is no such thing as low carb baking, although some people do mixes of coconut flour, linseed, almond flour and gluten flour (which all is lower in carbs than wheat flour, but still pretty high) and produce something baked, but it is not really bread or pizza.

So investigate first how many grams of carbs per day you can or want to eat - then go from there by cutting out all the obvious carbs (above) first. You will still get 50g or more per day from fruit and vegetables. 1 grapefruit has 20g of carbs already for example.

davidt4, Nov 25, 4:33am
Low carb is not the same as gluten-free, although they overlap.The easiest and healthiest way to eat low carb is to eliminate from your diet the following things:

Sugar, honey, other sweeteners
Soft drinks
All grains (including wheat, rye, barley, corn, rice and oats)
All food that contains grains (including cakes, breads, biscuits, crackers, cous cous, pasta and pancakes)
Potatoes, kumara, corn, peas and other starchy vegetable.
Convenience foods like simmer sauces, soups, ready-made meals.

Limit fruit and juices

Eat as much as you like of meat, fish, eggs, cheese, green vegetables, tomatoes, onion, pumpkin, almonds, butter, cream, olive oil.

Gluten-free products are not low carb and in general are not very healthy.If you avoid all grains you will be cutting out 99% of gluten anyway.

garfeild101, Nov 27, 1:49am
thanks that does help =)