New Potatoes and Ricotta Cheese

Page 1 / 2
fisher, Nov 22, 2:28am
Decided to dig up one of my Chippewa potato plants and ended up with about 10 or so nice sized spuds. I have 1/2 a tub Ricotta cheese as well .
What can you guys recommend to do with these.! CIA.

lilyfield, Nov 22, 2:54am
Oh wow, just like it as is, butter and salt on the side, maybe chives with the ricotta. Hot spuds- cold cheese -yum yum.

davidt4, Nov 22, 3:01am
Ricotta makes a very nice creamy dressing for veges.For 1/2 c of ricotta add 2 tab extra virgin olive oil, 1 tab wine vinegar, salt and pepper, whatever fresh herbs you fancy.It is good with hot or cold vegetables and would be wonderful with freshly dug potatoes.A tsp of Dijon mustard would be a good addition.

fisher, Nov 22, 4:07am
Thanks guys. some good ideas. cant believe my spuds are ready.
Plantedearly Sept.and have my Agrias to look forwards to.
( davidt4 when you say wine vinegar. what sort do you mean.! )
They are literally clean out of the ground with that new thin skin they have. going to boil them,skin on till "just done" , then crush with masher and then sprinkle over some very fine chopped parsley and chives and then your dressing.

davidt4, Nov 22, 4:45am
I prefer red wine vinegar but I don't think it matters too much in this sauce as long as it's good quality.

esther-anne, Nov 22, 5:55am
OMG-how yummy are newly dug spuds.For me I would not 'sully' them (lol) with anything else except butter and freshly ground black pepper and pop them in your mouth whole!

elliehen, Nov 22, 8:40am
I agree!

We used to grow Ilam Hardy for Christmas and then a later crop of Rua for winter keepers.As soon as I suspected I could find a spud I would go out and 'rat' around in the roots to get just enough for a quick cook-up and then smother them with butter and a good grind from the pepper mill.

fisher, Nov 22, 9:18am
esther. they may have been new potatoes but they are the size of tennis balls. bit hard to "pop" them in my mouth,, :}Never heard of the breed before (chippewa) so as an early spud, decided to give them a go.
Sposed to be great for roasting and chips. 3 rows were no longer standing tall and yellowing so decided to have a nosey at one plant.and lo and behold.

elliehen, Nov 22, 9:21am
Its origin is the USA, fisher, so should be popular in your house ;)

http://www.europotato.org/display_description.php!variety_name=Chippewa

fisher, Nov 22, 9:36am
cheers ellie. interesting.

charlieb2, Nov 22, 9:42am
Hey fisherman. how you doing! How did the spuds go!Dressing sounds yumo.

fisher, Nov 22, 11:16pm
Hi Charlie.pretty good thanks. landscaping and walls near all done. glasshouse still to put up.gardens look amazing. xmas should be free yaya. that's me.mow hows it down there all well.! starting to see the light of day yet and getting sorted.!
Was nice. ricotta dont have much flavour really. but on the new spuds it was nice.green and yellow beans and roast beets from garden, and grilled pork chops, nice and tender with a layer of sage leave covering each side. crispy cracklin' hmmm.

fifie, Nov 23, 1:37am
Mmmm new spuds yum! my latest with these heavenly creatures was to cook as usual with sprig of mint when done drain remove mint throw a good knob of butter in pot sprinkle with little sea salt, toss all gently to coat and devour with the melted butter spooned over spuddys on the plate very nice, from our local news paper, dinner was meant to be blue cod and a salad, but couldn't resist the box i had lol, sadly ours in garden are a way off yet, going on the summer weather we are getting, we'd be better growing a rice field.

mattdylan, Nov 23, 2:01am
oooh how do you know when the spuds were grown! I have some (first time gardener) and no idea how to tell, the tops of them (i have them in bags) are luciously thick with green.

elliehen, Nov 23, 2:05am

fisher, Nov 23, 4:44am
mattdylan.mine were all standing nice and straight, bright green. got a wee few white flowers and quite rapidly lost them all and the plants started to wilt and lay flat, go a little yellow. decided to sacrifice a plant to have a look and lo and behold, spuds everywhere. was surprised about the size of them, being about 2.5 months old and only expected golf balls.:}

greerg, Nov 23, 8:45am
Chippewa used to be grownin the black soil of Marshlands near Christchurch.They were a favourite of my mother's when I was a kid and a change from Ilam Hardys which were probably the main variety we used to get in those days.The Ilam Hardys were a rather insipid floury spud and the Chippewas were much better.

beaker59, Nov 23, 11:02am
Sounds good Fisher I must start growing a few spuds myself soon getting hard to get good ones around here lately.

Interestingly a cousin of mine is (or was) one of the biggest spud growers in the country but giving it away this year and maybe next due to a disease going around, she warned me about big potato shortages next year.

Hows the fishing going, its pretty full on down here at the moment heaps of snapper and turning to targetting the Kingis now plenty of big trevs too.

uli, Nov 24, 5:03am
Well we just had drizzle from Monday till today lunchtime - all out grey drizzle - almost 100mm all up for the week. So nice to see the sun again now :)

The courgettes are huge now - better go and harvest them before dinner LOL :) Never even started planting potatoes, pumpkins, kumara or corn so everything will be late I guess.

fisher, Nov 24, 11:53am
Thanks for the heads up on the spuds.pretty easy stuff really. dig ground over chuck some compost in. and a few seed spuds and leave them alone. but they do need constant watering.(irrigation)Might plant up as I go along for later crops .dig a plant up and put in another seed spud.when i get to the end of the 49 plants , I can start again harvesting. best storage place is left in the ground.
Fishing. nice 17 odd pounder and a 21 which had to be smoked due to being gut hooked. Last trip filled the bin with good size 6's and up.
Mates charter business for kingfish out of Whangaroa is going off. 3 guys jigged up over a tonne of fish for the day. some 20kg + on noodle rods.then went out to do it again the next day and only lasted till 11.00am LOL. all had to sit down because of stretched arms and after being rested up with lunch went snapper fishing.Hows it from out there.!where you fishing !

beaker59, Nov 24, 9:15pm
We have the boat at ulf harbour still so just fishing the Tiri channel not much need to go further for a fish lately some big ones released a fair few actually and only had to Kill one over 15 :) almost exclusively on softies now which helps, cleaner boat too.Allot of wind lately too which makes the wellington reef through to mid channel area the only comfortable spot for miles on most days.Getting into jigging, gear all sorted and hoping to get out in the next few weeks to have a go at a couple of deep pins around flat rock weather and time permitting, it was producing kingies really well this time last year. Had a few issues with the shaft on the boat after an incident with a sheet over a month back finally got issue sorted 2 weeks ago but have only got out twice since due to the weather.

Yeah Potatoes I know how and should just gotta sort out the ground I have quite allot of garden really considering we live in a very big house on a very small section Potatoes take up a fair bit of space. But I have an area that could support half a dozen plants so will have a go.

uli, Nov 24, 11:25pm
Not recommended fisher, as diseases will build up eventually, blight, canker and all sorts. Rotate to some non-nightshade for a year or two. You are much better off that way especially if you want to keep seed potatoes yourself for next season.

fisher, Nov 25, 12:50am
uli. by the time Xmas arrives, it simply does not rain up here. Xmas 2009 it stopped raining November 8th and we only had 12mm all up until April 14th.so seeing the ground is super dry. we just leave them there. but if it was more wet I would be digging all up and storing. only had about 3 spuds that had vermin holes .rest beautiful. My big spud plot was planted over for 3 years in same spot and never had a problem.(see above) The new glasshouse is being built over it so the spud patch had moved to the top garden, first time planted for this year.nothing like spuds straight out of the ground.when ever you want.

fisher, Nov 22, 11:16pm
Hi Charlie.pretty good thanks. landscaping and walls near all done. glasshouse still to put up.gardens look amazing. xmas should be free yaya. that's me.now hows it down there all well.! starting to see the light of day yet and getting sorted.!
Was nice. ricotta dont have much flavour really. but on the new spuds it was nice.green and yellow beans and roast beets from garden, and grilled pork chops, nice and tender with a layer of sage leave covering each side. crispy cracklin' hmmm. was looking a little bit manky so fresh made broccoli soup to start,,

fisher, Nov 23, 4:44am
mattdylan.mine were all standing nice and straight, bright green. got a wee few white flowers and quite rapidly lost them all and the plants started to wilt and lay flat, go a little yellow. decided to sacrifice a plant to have a look and lo and behold, spuds everywhere. was surprised about the size of them, being about 2.5 months old and only expected golf balls.:}
Remember these are "early" potatoes. and it will depend on the variety you have chosen to plant.