Jars

elect70, Nov 20, 11:28pm
Is there a tool for undoing thosetwist top jars ,I have mild athritis in hands &cant get a decent grip to open themanymore . I do like thosepasta sauces& s&sbutonly way I can open them is prisethem open withcan opener but then cant reseal them as dont use it all at once .

lilyfield, Nov 20, 11:31pm
if you turn them upside down and immerse the lid in boiling water they open really easy.
There is lots of different tool in any hardware shop if you want to spend money

buzzy110, Nov 21, 2:57am
Yes. There are several versions of jar openers. I have one that uses a thick strip of rubber, one that fits over the lid and then screws tight (simple to do) and another complicated gadget that someone bought me that I have never used. The very best device I saw was a simple flat piece of thick metal device that worked like a charm and took up no room in the cutlery drawer. Another one has a flat wide V shaped top that has been curved over at the sides to grip a jar. Just slide it on till it won't go any further and push the handle.

You will need to look about but hardware stores would be a good place to start, followed by kitchenware shops. Just make sure that whichever one you purchase, it is big enough to undo an Agee jar lid. Most of the ones I have seen in kitchenware shops aren't.

andrew499, Nov 21, 3:06am
how about the Onetouch jar opener.Put out by the same company who do the Onetouch can opener.They're battery operated, and no manual labour is required to operate them.Hope this helps.

lulu239, Nov 21, 3:41am
Agree with andrew499. That is the one to get. We had one that was supposed to grip but slid off the lid. The One Touch is great - a bit bulky but one isn't opening new jars every day.

katalin2, Nov 21, 7:02am
There is a "jar key" available from homeware stores around $10 that you just slip under the lid and gently lift which releases the pressure. I have had one for years and have given many away as presents as everyone admires mine. I have seen them at Stevens, Moore Wilsons, Acquisitions.

sclaredy_cat, Nov 21, 7:06am
Sounds like a similar concept to what I do, I have an old thin bone handled knife that I push up under the rim until it pops like magic ;)

margyr, Nov 21, 7:28am
if you look at your tin opener it may have a hook like thing on it, mine does and I have had it for years and years, however I just found out last year that the hook part goes under the lip of a lid and when you lift it the seal pops. Until then I did the same sclaredy_cat and put a knife up the edge.

punkinthefirst, Nov 21, 8:03am
OP there is a disabled people's store, which stocks jar openers - my preference is forthis one
http://shop.disabilityresource.org.nz/opener-holdfast-p-1011.html or this http://shop.disabilityresource.org.nz/opener-good-grips-p-1013.html