Dehydrators: utility and best one to buy

infinityjrc, Nov 19, 11:35pm
Hi I am looking at buying a dehydrator and wondered if those who actually use one or another method of dehydrating could help me.I am keen to soak and dry nuts in particular but also do some apples and other dried fruits for taking out tramping etc any help much appreciated.

ant_sonja, Nov 19, 11:45pm
Sorry, no idea about what brand to buy, but wanted to say that we are going to be building a solar dehydrator, lots of designs and info if you search with google :-)

lilyfield, Nov 19, 11:57pm
harvest Maid is the best one around, tho i have no idea what you mean by SOAK and dry nuts. Nuts dry naturally in a net ,shake them around once in a while - hang in garage.

elliehen, Nov 20, 12:00am
I think I have read posts here from hunter-gatherer people who soak their nuts to remove toxins!A Paleo Person might appear and explain.

ant_sonja, Nov 20, 12:03am

lilyfield, Nov 20, 12:14am
Well well well- one never finishes learning something
for thousands of years folks have eaten the nuts raw

jag5, Nov 20, 4:50am
Harvest Maid from Hydraflow Industries.Sunbeam are a waste of money unless you just want to dry herbs and flowers.not grunty enough for other things.

Brilliant - I do all sorts

wizardoo, Nov 20, 6:45am
Harvest maid had for 21 years they are great I have done alsorts in it even drying xmas decorations in it.