What are good, basic cook books to buy for

Page 1 / 2
kiwitel, Nov 17, 4:03am
my daughter (18 1/2) who has not long left home. She loves baking plus I am sure would appreciate clear, basic recipes for meals. Is the Edmonds book still the best or are there any others you recommend!

valentino, Nov 17, 4:09am
Personally and over a very long period of time, a good look through everything here in this MSB Recipes plus look at downloading Fisher's Kitchen where TMC is saved, that is recipes that were posted way back and you will get a far better collection of recipes that are proven than in any published recipe book and one can select to one's own or in this case, your daughter's fancy plus a few others.

Print them off and placed in some various folders.

Sure Edmonds was once upon a time the most recommended Nz Cookbook but today not so much.
There are quite a number great cookbooks but my suggestion is to go with things that are simple, very nice as you read and to note comments given.

Hopes this helps.

Cheers and all the best.

rainrain1, Nov 17, 4:29am
A Good Spread.Recipes from the kitchens of Rural Women New Zealand might be nice book for your daughter to have.

supercook, Nov 17, 4:48am
Alison Holst always good.

sarahb5, Nov 17, 4:52am
I bought my daughter the Edmonds Flatters Cook Book rather than the "normal" Edmonds one - there are two now I think - or what about the Four Ingredients one!

kiwitel, Nov 17, 5:16am
Great advice- so good to have some titles written down and then go and look at them. Thanks Valentino- thanks for the link also. :)

lythande1, Nov 17, 5:39am
Edmonds is rubbish, full of cakes and a few meals made with oxo cubes.
get hera book that covers the basics, how to make your basic meal mix and go from there. Some of the General (not specific) Womens Weekly ones have that, there was an old Readers Digest one too, it had all kinds of ingredients and uses at front, equipment then your general bits. Like stock, soups, mince mix, stirfry techniques, your classic recipes and so on.

grandma, Nov 17, 5:48am
I'd recommend Alison Holst's "Dollars and Sense" cookbook.I bought one for myself and each of my four daughters and eldest granddaughter from Trade Me.

valentino, Nov 17, 6:26am
Thank you for your nice comment.

Will note one excellent book though and is excellent in presentation plus information about ingredients.

'The Family Circle " RECIPE" Encyclopedia'.
A complete A-Z of good food and cooking.
ISBN-0-86411-401-X

Check it out.

spot20, Nov 17, 6:30am
Hey Granny .did the same ! Everyone swears by them! Alison Holst is such a legend, I think she gives starting cooks a lot of confidence to explore

phoenix10111, Nov 17, 9:10am
What about one of the Four Ingredients ones!Have you put together a book of recipes for your daughter of her favourite meals/treats that you cook!

deus701, Nov 17, 9:33am
I think for cooking, a good reference book would be the "New Zealand Chef 2nd Edition by Lesley Christensen-Yule & Hamish McRae" .Has lots of basic info (meat cooking guide, basic vegetable identification guide, simple diagrams how to fold puff pastry, bone a chicken, types of vegetable cuts, etc).maybe you can pop by CPIT (christchurch polytech) and look at the noticeboards if there are any students sellin their copies.

Baking books by CIA are decent (Culinary Institute of America) but quite pricey. Personally I stay away from 'celebrity' chefs.their recipes usually missing a few components.

But there is always the internet, and also the food magazines by Countdown ($6.99 with one card) are not bad too.

aktow, Nov 17, 10:08am
my buddy used to work at he Culinary Institute of America at Greystone napa valley , he was lucky becauseoutside of work hour he did lots ofcourses,, he did the Culinary Arts ,Baking and Pastry Arts
Wine and Beverages and a few more.luckyhe was a full time employee so all courses were free,there restaurant has excellent food,

deus701, Nov 17, 10:47am
Wow, lucky guy. The courses are not cheap too. Is he American! They do have excellent tutors there. What did he end up doing btw! Chef!

kob, Nov 17, 6:27pm
What I did when my youngest left home was I took about 6 months to compile a recipe book for him and his lady of all the foods he had ever enjoyed and listed them all with ingredients, recipes and photos and had it properly binded and gave to them both as a xmas gift, It was truely a gift a love and they use it all the time, it had things like his fav way of eating porridge and how to cook it,a section on his fav baking or fav foods, and even delicious pudds that they may only cook on special occasions but they are there for them to try, i was truely pleased with the effort that it took to make it was balanced out by the wholesime ness of the recipriant.

raewyn64, Nov 17, 7:20pm
This was one that came out last year written by a kiwi teenager so it might be quite good if it istill available

http://www.bayofplentytimes.co.nz/news/teen-shares-her-recipes-for-success-recipe/1032079/

cgvl, Nov 17, 8:36pm
I bought niece the Alison Holst Dollars and Sense cookbook. Apparently its being the next best thing to sliced bread lol. She was rapt with it and has tried most of the recipes (1st year Uni student).
The other one would have to be the Edmonds Flatters one but personally I think the Holst one is better.

punkinthefirst, Nov 17, 9:15pm
"Every Girls and Boys Rally Cookbook"
Yes, its a fundraiser, but has a lot of useful recipes. I think the place to find it is in Christian bookshops, but don't let that put you off.

kiwitel, Nov 18, 7:11pm
Thank you so much for all of your advice and links.I will go and look at some of the books, search the sites and will type out many of my favourite recipes also for her. Appreciate the advice. :)

greerg, Nov 19, 8:16pm
And if she wouldlike a special baking only book,Ladies a Plate" has many tips and old favourites and is a nice onetoleaf through forinspiration that isnot to high-flown.

davidt4, Nov 19, 10:01pm
"Ladies a Plate" is excellent for traditional NZ baking, also Alexa Johnston's other two cookbooks - "Ladies a Plate Second Helpings" and "What's for Pudding!"

very_hotpants, Nov 19, 10:47pm
I print out or photo copy recipies from the web or books. Then when tried them out lamenate them and put them in a folder.

riversdale28, Nov 20, 12:00am
4 ingredients cookbooks

elliehen, Nov 20, 12:20am
You could ask friends and family each to send you one fail-safe useful recipe and put them into a clearfile booklet - a good gift for a home leaver and not as daunting as a cookbook.

kiwitel, Nov 20, 12:26am
Great ideas. Thanks. :)