Can someone explain the diff with buttermilk and

tishan, Nov 16, 6:11am
milk i know theyr diff consistancy etc but if theres a recipe that requires buttmilk can you use normal milk, i cant stand buttermilk

wheelz, Nov 16, 6:18am
The name buttermilk was originally the term given to the slightly sour liquid left after butter was churned from cream. Today, buttermilk is intentionally made from no-fat or low-fat milk to which specific bacterial cultures have been added during the manufacturing process. Buttermilk became the preferred liquid of many cooks for making light, tender, highest-rising biscuits, scones, soda breads and other quick breads, pancakes, waffles, muffins, and cakes.

tishan, Nov 16, 6:20am
oh thank you for that, i wouldnt mind using it i just dont like the taste

uli, Nov 16, 6:24am
And it was slightly sour because the Europeans prefer cultured butter to butter made from fresh (sweet) cream (which then gets salt added to keep). So this is why Germans have what is called "sour cream butter" - which is cream with culture added and then churned a few days later . Completely different to milk with culture added and then called buttermilk .

threecheers, Nov 16, 7:09am
If you are going to replace the buttermilk with milk, add a tsp of vinegar or lemon juice to "sour" the milk.Wheelz is right. The end product won't be as nice without the buttermilk.

cgvl, Nov 16, 9:36am
you could use unsweetened plain yoghurt too.

gennie, Nov 18, 9:27am
I think I read that buttermilk reacts exceptionally well with baking soda in a recipe which helps rising.

Love using buttermilk in scones and in cakes.I don't taste it at all in the finished product.