Daibetic Icecream

camper18, Nov 16, 2:25am
Has any one got a good recipe I could make for an 86yr old friend who is having troudle with gallstones at present and has really gone off her food. She really fancies some icecrem and jelly or fruit but all the bought ones including Weight Watchers have sugar in them. She is not on insulin and mainly controls her B/S with a tablet and diet.
Would be ever so grateful for your suggestions. T.I A.

deered, Nov 16, 2:31am
She will be fine with weight watchers jelly - you can't really get a sugar free icecream - you need to know how much her carbohydrte allowance is for each meal and weight the icecream so that she knows how much of her carbohdrate allowance that is.The easiest way to find the lowest carb icecream or frozen yoghurt is to look at the nutritional information and see which one has the lowest amount of carbohydrates per 100g.

elliehen, Nov 16, 3:30am
You could make up a Weightwatchers jelly with just one cup of water, allow to cool slightly and then stir in till combined one cup of plain unsweetened yoghurt, then refrigerate until set.

cgvl, Nov 16, 3:43am
creme de la creme do a lite one. Not sure how diabetic friendly it is.
I occasionally eat ice cream even though diabetic and usually get the regular one . but then it can last 6months or more in our freezer neither DH nor I are big on it.

camper18, Nov 16, 5:10am
Have looked at the nutritional list on most at our super/M and funnily enough W/W is higher @ 10.5gms per 100g than some of the ordinary ones @ only 8.5g. She already uses W/W jellies and sugar free fruits but I have a hard time convincing her that a minimal amount of sugar in some foods is not going to do much harm.

kuaka, Nov 16, 9:29am
I think if I was 86 I would be prepared to risk the small amount of sugar which would be contained in a scoop or two of ice cream, if I fancied having ice cream.Moderation in everything.It's not like she's going to eat 3 gallons of the stuff.

deered, Nov 16, 7:08pm
If she eats potato or carrots it's the same. some people have been so badly informed, or have got such mixed messages that it makes their treatment so much more difficult.Good luck in trying to sort something for her.

lodgelocum, Nov 16, 7:14pm
There is a sugar free ice cream Zulich or something like that!Not all supermarkets stock it, New World does.

camper18, Nov 17, 2:53am
Thanks for all your help. Hopefully I have convinced her that the small amount she will be having wont have much effect.
My late mother who was quite an unstable diabetic had a philosophy "have a big piece of pav and take another pill" and no amount of growling from me would stop her.