Has anyone got a recipe for seed cake!

munrotti, Nov 14, 8:52am
My mum used to buy this for my dad from Adams Bruce many years ago.I would like to make one for him for his 91st birthday.I know it had carroway seeds in it.

davidt4, Nov 14, 8:54am
Seed cake is simply a Madeira cake with a tablespoon of caraway seeds added with the dry ingredients.

elliehen, Nov 14, 8:59am
From ancient Aunt Daisy cookery book:

SEED CAKE
2 heaped cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound sugar
1 large teaspoon baking powder
1/2 pound butter
3 eggs
4 teaspoons caraway seeds

Cream butter and sugar very well, add eggs one by one.Then add half of the flour mixture, then 6 tablespoons of cold water.Now add rest of flour mixture containing the seeds.Bake about an hour.

munrotti, Nov 14, 9:02am
Thanks, Will try that recipe

grandma, Nov 14, 9:16am
I use the Edmonds Cookery Book recipe from the 1978 edition, which is very nice munrotti.

elliehen, Nov 14, 9:31am
TWO MORE - found with a Google

SEED CAKE (posted by pam.delilah)
You'll need
125 g butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
11/4 cups self-raising flour, sifted
3 tsps caraway seeds
2 tblsps milk
Icing sugar, to dust

Here's how

1 Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a deep 20cm round cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
2 Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with electric beaters until light and creamy. Add the egg gradually, beating thoroughly after each addition. Using a metal spoon, gently fold in the flour and caraway seeds alternately with the milk.
3 Spoon into the prepared tin and smooth the surface. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cake. Leave in the tin for 20 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar.

Tip: This cake will store well for up to one week in an airtight container, or up to three months in the freezer.

Seed cake is a traditional english cake made to celebrate the end of spring sowing of the crop.

SEED CAKE (Edmonds)

125gr butter
125gr butter
2 eggs
175gr flour
1tsp b/powder
1TBSP Caraway Seeds
1tsp Whisky or Brandy (opt)
Beat butter & sugar together, add well-beaten eggs alternatively with flour, b/powder &Caraway Seeds previously mixed.
Bake 3/4hr @ 180.

grandma, Nov 14, 7:04pm
That's the recipe I use eliehen - recommended!