Easy Cheese & Garlic rolls in breadmaker please!

mazzy1, Nov 6, 3:39am
I have found a few recipes but want something to make with olive oil instead of butter to have with my divine Country Chicken soup tonight!

245sam, Nov 6, 4:37am
mazzy1, I have now found an Alison Holst recipe for Garlic & Olive Bread which uses 2 tbsp olive oil (no butter at all) and ¼ cup each of grated parmesan cheese and non-fat dried milk powder + 2 garlic cloves, and fresh basil and thyme leaves and black olives.Would this recipe be any help to you!:-))

mazzy1, Nov 6, 4:51am
Yes please, 245sam. I have a batch of dough in the breadmaker at the moment, but that recipe sounds fabulous for next time! Living in Central Otago is brilliant - I just went and picked a huge handful of fresh wild Thyme - just love it!

mazzy1, Nov 6, 4:53am
I took your advice, by the way, and substituted the same quantity of gorgeous Tarris extra virgin olive oil in tonight's recipe!

245sam, Nov 6, 5:20am
Here you are mazzy1.

Alison Holst’s GARLIC AND OLIVE BREAD
Makes 1 large round or brick-shaped loaf (6-8 cup pan).
3 tsp Surebake yeast
1¼ cups warm water
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
¼ cup non-fat dried milk powder
3 cups high grade flour
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
¼ cup chopped black olives

Bread Machine Instructions:
Carefully measure all the ingredients into a 750g capacity bread machine, in the order specified by the manufacturer.
Set to the NORMAL/WHITE bread cycle, MEDIUM crust and START. This is a good timer bread.

Handmade Bread Instructions:
Measure the first 6 ingredients into a large bowl.Add 1½ cups of the high grade flour and mix thoroughly.Cover and leave for 15 minutes or longer in a warm place.
Stir in the rest of the flour and the remaining ingredients, adding a little warm water or flour, if necessary, to make a dough just firm enough to knead.
Knead with the dough hook of an electric mixer or by hand on a lightly floured surface for 10 minutes, adding extra flour if necessary, until dough forms a soft ball which springs back when pressed gently.
Turn the dough in 1-2 tsp of oil in the cleaned, dry bowl, then cover with cling film and leave in a warm draughtfree place for about 30 minutes.
Lightly knead the oiled dough in the bowl for about a minute, then turn out onto a lightly floured surface.

Shaping and Baking:
For a round loaf, shape into a ball and flatten slightly onto a lightly oiled oven tray.
For a loaf shape, pat or roll into a square a little longer than the pan, then roll up into a cylinder.Place the shaped dough into the buttered or sprayed pan.
Leave to rise in a warm draught-free place for about an hour, or until double its original size.
Brush with milk or egg glaze if desired, then bake at200°Cforabout 35 minutes, until the sides and bottom of the loaf is brown and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.

I sure believe you re the wild thyme - do you live somewhere around Alex.!We've been there and at the time I particularly recall there was a definite perfume of wild thyme in the air and depending on where we went wild thyme almost as far as the eye could see.

Hope you enjoy this recipe - please let us know how it goes and also how the oil substitution goes with tonight's batch of bread.:-))

mazzy1, Nov 6, 5:53am
Thank you for posting this one sam - yes I live in Alexandra and we get to enjoy that wild Thyme aromatherapy all year round. The hills and gardens look particularly gorgeous at the moment because it's all flowering madly. I'll let you know how my rolls turn out. I brushed butter and mashed garlic on the tops and then sprinkled parmesan on the tops. They are rising at the moment and smell divine.

mazzy1, Nov 6, 6:40am
Bit worried, actually. the rolls I'm making tonight have been sitting there for nearly an hour and don't appear to have risen much, let alone "doubled". I'll just put them in a hot oven and see what happens. If the worst comes to the worst, I'll turn them into Starling Retardant Devices. :-)