Last year's Xmas ham - what to do with it!

mazzy1, Nov 7, 8:58pm
I was just looking in the depths of the big freezer and found the other half of the massive Xmas ham that the butcher cut for me. How best to use this! Should I thaw it and bake it, or just thaw it and eat! Hopefully it will still be ok!

pickles7, Nov 7, 10:22pm
I would not eat it. I don't freeze ham now at all.

southerngurl, Nov 7, 10:23pm
was it frozen straight away when you got it, or was it left out and then refrozen!
If the first option, bake it and have with hot mustard and veges nom nom

maximus44, Nov 7, 10:59pm
We had a ham last Christmas that had been frozen for 12 months and it was fine. It was a cooked one and I just glazed it and it was fine.

fisher, Nov 7, 11:42pm
It will be fine .dont listen to the nay sayer :}}it will be more salty than the original tho.

mazzy1, Nov 8, 1:19am
So just thaw it for a day or so and bake it! I'm certainly not going to throw it away!

mazzy1, Nov 8, 1:20am
It was frozen straight away. Just not sure how long to bake it for.

pericles, Nov 8, 1:21am
I'm with fisher

flo16, Nov 8, 1:53am
cooked half a ham last week in the crockpot,wont tell you how long it was in the freezer for and we are all still here,no problems----probably one of the nicest we have had.Will add free range homekill makes a big difference and yes was there more than 12 months!

mazzy1, Nov 8, 2:14am
How long did you do it in the crockpot, flo! And how did you prepare it!

gilligee, Nov 8, 4:25am
Keep it for Christmas.

mazzy1, Nov 8, 5:20am
I did think of that, but half the joy of Christmas is picking up the ham from the butcher each year. He hand-picks ours for us. It's just me and my husband, but the butcher got a little carried away last year. hence my asking him to chop it in half. The plan was to have a mid-winter Christmas dinner and use it then, but somehow we never got around to it.

uli, Nov 8, 6:55am
Of course it will be fine .
even if the "eat before" lovers will say to throw it out LOL :)

Either bake it or throw it into boiling water and let simmer for an hour or two.

gilligee, Nov 8, 9:51am
I think it is already cooked, Uli.

m41, Nov 8, 9:28pm
we get given one each year and i keep one for my sons bithday in may but we did lamb spit instead so it didn`t get used so i cooked it up for xmas was devine it was a cooked ham i just roasted it in the oven in some water then glaze we found it had more flavour.

lythande1, Nov 9, 6:56am
Someones got too much money.

juliewn, Nov 9, 10:04am
Hi. I'd thaw it then bake it with a glaze. a few days or so before you want to use it. it'll taste like fresh ham.

Our favourite recipe - given to me by a butcher here in Whakatane many years ago (my recipe book notes 1984), is:

Simmer together till the sugar is dissolved:
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup pineapple juice (use the juice from a can of pineapple rings, and make the juice up to 1 cup with water)
1/2 tsp dry mustard.

For decoration:
Pineapple circles
Cherries

Place two layers of tinfoil in the bottom of a roasting dish.
Remove the skin of the ham and some of the fat if you want, and score a diamond pattern about 1/4" deep into the surface of the fat that's left.
Place the ham on the tinfoil, then decorate the ham with the pineapple circles and with cherries inside the circles.
Use toothpicks to hold them in place if needed.
Pour over the glaze, cover firmly with foil then the roasting dish lid if it will fit - otherwise just use the foil.
Bake at 160°C for 20 minutes per kilo.
Baste with the glaze about every 10 minutes.