Food during chemotherapy

craig04, Nov 3, 12:42am
Okay clever people, some ideas please. A workmate ofmine is about to startchemo for breast cancer and a group of us from work are planning on cooking dinners for her and her family while she is having the chemo and taking them round to her place every night. What ideas do you have for food which is both easily portable, tasty and tempting for both her and her husband and nephew as well! The first meal I need to cook will be 2 weeks into her chemo regimen. Give me recipes and ideas please! They are not fussy eaters nor do they any special food requirements, but I was thinking of fairly simple but tasty dishes that will be easily digestible for a delicate tummy.

vmax2, Nov 3, 12:49am
In this last week I had a lady come and get some raw cream from me for her son who is very ill with chemotherapy.He can't keep anything down.She served up a chocolate cake with raw cream in it and down the hatch it went and asked for more.Everyone was astonished.Speaking to a friend about this and she said she knows of people on chemotherapy who the only thing they can keep down is raw milk.

craig04, Nov 3, 12:53am
That's really interesting, the only problem being that I live in Aucks and I have no idea where to get raw milk or cream from

yjeva, Nov 3, 12:54am
One person I knew ate pretty much the same as he always did. Another couldn't eat a thing and lived on liquid stuff the hospital gave him. So you may have to play it by ear.

vmax2, Nov 3, 12:55am
Google milkmap to find a supplier of raw milk.

buzzy110, Nov 3, 2:02am
That map doesn't have the only supplier of raw milk in Auckland on it sadly.

vmax2, Nov 3, 2:33am
The other alternative then is to contact your local chapter leader of the Weston Price Foundation who will put you in touch with a supplier.

craig04, Nov 3, 2:53am
Okay, thanks guys, I will look into it.

Anyone got any nice recipe ideas!

evorotorua, Nov 3, 6:19am
I don't know if I am going to be much help but I would like to say I think what you are doing is really nice. Since you don't know whether she will even want to eat, maybe you could make the meals in single serve portions so they can choose what they want and eat at different times even if necessary. dessert is often welcome as it is nice at the end of a long tiring day to sit down with a little something sweet to relax with. Maybe raspberry slice, chocolate brownie.

elliehen, Nov 3, 9:26am
'Delicate tummy' can be a problem during chemotherapy.If you're feeling nauseous you just don't want to eat.

Sometimes something really simple like a perfectly poached egg on a little nest of mashed potato with a few wilted spinach leaves is all a person undergoing chemotherapy feels like eating.I would concentrate on simple dishes without too many complicated flavours.

elliehen, Nov 3, 10:26am
Craig and Kate.I sent off an email to a friend who was in the same situation as your workmate and got back this reply:

"I would try for a mix of rich tasty things (cos if they are coming back up why not enjoy the going down!) and simple plain stuff but tasty and looking good.Presentation is everything ( you know what I mean. there is a plain scone and then there is the one with a little cheese and a sprinkle of paprika on top)."

craig04, Nov 4, 6:44am
Great guys - elliehen, thanks for that, it's good to get some feedback from someone who's been through it!

creek, Nov 4, 6:55am
soup would be ok then it can be heated when felt like it .sweet stuff would be good when you have no taste and are sick thats all you want.

donnabeth, Nov 4, 10:08am
My friend was also in that position and currently another friend's husband is going through chemo again but keeping well. What they appreciated most was the family meals that were delivered. The stress is felt by the whole family and sometimes it was nice for the well members to have a tasty meal while Mum ate a poached egg.
My standby is to make a tasty but not spicy casserole and deliver it with a bag of Uncle Ben's flavoured 2 minute rice and a bag of frozen Steam Fresh veges. Quick, light, tasty and attractive. Chemo can make food taste 'tinny' so spices are best avoided.