Thai Basil

mattdylan, Oct 31, 8:21pm
I have so much of this stuff in the garden, bought it thinking it was just normal basil :( it is quite diff in flavour to normal basil, what could I do with it!

davidt4, Oct 31, 8:50pm
Use in South East Asian curries and salads, normally added at the end.Let me know if you want any recipes.Here's one to get you started:

Cambodian Minced Chicken with Galangal (larb muan)

3 cloves garlic
2 tab fresh galangal, chopped
2 large fresh red chillies, chopped
2 tsp shrimp paste
3 tab oil
2 spring onions, finely sliced
600g minced chicken (or pork)
3 tab fish sauce
125 ml water
3 tab roasted rice powder
3 tab finely chopped Vietnamese mint
2 tab finely chopped Thai basil
3 tab lime juice (or more)
salt
½ tsp black pepper

Process garlic, galangal, chilli and shrimp paste to a smooth paste.

Heat oil in wok, add paste and stir - fry 3 min until fragrant.Increase heat and add chicken and spring onions.Stir-fry 2 min until meat has changed colour all over, add fish sauce and cook 30 sec.Add water and cook 3 - 4 min until all liquid gone.

Take off heat and add rice powder, herbs and lime juice, salt to taste.Check balance of seasoning and add more lime if needed.

Serve hot or cool with rice, sprinkled with pepper.Lettuce wrappers optional.

iriegirl, Nov 3, 12:31am
mattdylan, this is my fav thai dish, if you don't like it too hot, take the seeds out of the chillies.
Pad Krapow nua
250g lean beef mince
2 birds eye (or similar) chillies finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 T fish sauce
1 T soy sauce
1 T oyster sauce
1 C thai basil leaves, shredded
1 large chilli sliced
2-4 long green beans finely chopped
Oil for frying
Heat oil until sizzling then add the chillies and garlic, stir for a minute. Add the minced beef, stir until well mixed then add the sauces. Cook until meat is done, add the beans, large sliced chilli and holy basil, stir well and cook a further minute. If you want it more “saucy” just add a little water.
Serve with jasmine rice and a fried egg on top.