Pickled onions - how long do they last!

tigger22, Nov 10, 10:47pm
I'm getting creative and have decided to make jars of picked onions to give to family for christmas presents.I've searched for recipes and have my shopping list!They recommend you let them 'pickle' for a couple of weeks before opening but how long do they last for!If i make them now will they still be OK for christmas!The longer the sit the more pickly they get!

pericles, Nov 10, 10:50pm
my mum used to do them in huge quantities, and they would still be fine a couple of years down the track.
never once saw her throw any of them out

tigger22, Nov 10, 10:52pm
cool thanks.just read the sundried tomato thread, might give them a go too!

fisher, Nov 11, 12:04am
Tigger22 . if you have a dehydrator, lay the cut in half cherry tomatoes over the trays .but ensure they dont touch each other. I then grind rock salt and lots of black pepper over the top and then sprinkle pinches of my processed basil over the top of each one. you can leave out the basil on some trays if you want. fire the dehydrator on high and after a couple of hours check them on their state.you want them to be like "raisin" consistency and remove those that are ready and continue the rest on till all ready.
Just store them sealed in a tupperware container in the fridgeand they will keep for months.
Processed basil. Basil leaves are washed and patted dry. Placed on a tray in dehydrator and dried. Basil only takes about 40 odd minutes. You want it just "crispy" but still greenish. place in a magic bullet , ninja machine or an old coffee grinder to process into a fine salt like powder.
You can do most herbs in the same way but they take different times .
Parsley for instance is quite quick and I leave part of the stalks on as "most" of the flavour is there. sprinkle on salads for flavour and aesthetics. looks great over a potato salad at BBQ's etc etc etc.

twindizzy, Nov 11, 12:06am
They will still be ok for next Christmas

mrsmcgoo, Nov 11, 12:29am
yup mine last ages - makes my mouth drool - before I get to the jar - love em neat with aged vintage cheddar *drools*

kuaka, Nov 11, 10:48am
I used to do pickled onions years ago as my first husband loved them, but I think after a few months they become a bit soft and the longer you keep them the squishier they get.I wouldn't keep them longer than about six months or they are too squishy.If you do them now to give at Christmas they will probably be fine through till about Easter (not that I even know when Easter will be next year)

craftylady1, Nov 11, 8:57pm
They last for a very long time.however, they get eaten pretty quick round here. I buy homemade ones at craft fairs, church/school fairs etc

samsnan, Nov 11, 9:34pm
I always do mine around January when the new seasons onions are around. I am still using onions that I did 2 years ago and still good as. If you buy them now to do they most likely will go soft in a few months.

lythande1, Nov 11, 11:20pm
Nope, that's all dependent on how you did them in the first place.
Do not use warm or hot liquid, and salt them first. They keep crisp for ages then.