PRESERVATIVE FOR JAM

flashdaz, Mar 26, 9:27am
Just wondering if anyoneuses additional preservatives in jam . . apart from the sugar. I am looking to cut down the sugar content without reducing the shelf life. . thanks

juliewn, Mar 26, 10:13am
Hi. .
I use about half the amount of sugar as recipes usually include - I add about a third of the amount to the boiling fruit mix - ie. . if the recipe needs 1kg sugar, I'll add about 300 - 350gms, stir that till it's dissolved, then taste, adding more sugar a little at a time, tasting after it's dissolved, until it's got the full-fruit flavour tangyness that we love. I continue as usual, bottling the jam once setting point has been reached. .

The next day, I wash the jars to remove any spills, then place the jars in my freezer to keep them there - due to the sugar content it doesn't freeze hard and can be used straight from the freezer. . When I take out a jar, I keep it in the fridge till we've used all the jam. . chilled jam is delicious. .

cookessentials, Mar 26, 4:33pm
No added extras for me. The sugar IS the preservative. There are various recipes for low sugar jams, however, I think their shelf life is far shorter.

mandi, Mar 26, 8:18pm
Hi, I always use less sugar than the recipes state, it takes longer to reach setting point but it's worth it, the jam tastes much better. I haven't had any of them go off on me yet and I have some stored for over 6months in a dark cool cupboard.

pickles7, Mar 26, 9:06pm
less sugar longer setting time ? ? ? ? evaporatemore from your jam hence as much sugar/volume, as if you would have, if you added all the sugar in the first place... Buy a sugar thermometer. That way you will get a good set, with less boiling every time.

cookessentials, Mar 26, 10:17pm
Have never used a thermometer and my apricot jam sets beautifully - i use paper thin sliced lemons and juice as well as the apricot kernels(6 of) in it and it is neither sweet nor unset. it is deliciously tangy and everyone loves it.