Homemade dishwashing powder

falconhell2002, Oct 28, 7:29am
Hi all,I have been having a look through the budgets thread looking for a recipe for homemade dishwashing powder.I fear that by the time I have looked through the whole fantastic thread I could of washed the dishes by hand a number of times over.Does anyone know how to make it!TIA.

wheelz, Oct 28, 7:44am
I just ask my dishwasher (hubby or son) when the dishes will be done. and they get done. quick and painless for me, runs on dinner fuel.

falconhell2002, Oct 28, 7:54am
Lol everyone has gone out and we have pet day tomorrow and i still have to do baking and have run out of tablets.Really couldn't be bothered doing them but i think im going to have to.Just finished writing out a hummingbird cake recipe to make, but I think im gonna have to go do them before I make it.Yes feeling a little like i cant be bothered tonight.LOL

wheelz, Oct 28, 8:05am
nah.do the baking and get the family to do them. just tell how much fun it could be, reliving old times an all

perle, Oct 28, 10:34am
Ive posted on here about it before. if i ever run out of dishwasher tabs, i use equal amounts of baking soda/citric acid. perhaps a tsp of each into the bit where you would normally out powder. Ive always been impressed, esp with glasses, crystal clear. hope this helps

ace441, Oct 28, 10:44am
Dishwasher Powder
1 cup Borax
1 cup bi-carbonate soda (baking soda NOT baking powder)
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup citric acid
30 drops citrus essential oil (I used lemon)

Mix thoroughly and store in an airtight plastic container. Use 1 tablespoon at a time - cost approximately $4.61 per kilo. Note: This powder tends to clump over time in storage. Get around this by giving the container a really good shake each time you use it, to break up the clumps, otherwise it will set hard over the course of a few weeks. Use plain white vinegar as a rinse aid.

lythande1, Oct 28, 6:23pm
And it doesn't work as well either, I've tried it.

falconhell2002, Oct 29, 4:01am
Thanks all, I ended up doing them by hand.We only have a very small kitchen and I was running out of bench space, and my cake fell in the middle.I was very dissapointed.Not that I was surprised, I can't bake to save myself, but I did think it sounded like an easy recipe.The thing with pet days is the cakes that get taken in for the cake auction are always so well made and look really flash and I just cant bake like that.Its very upsetting to me.Never mind fun was had by all and the calves and lambs behaved very well.