Just discovered garlic sprouts

mindi1, Oct 26, 6:17am
Am currently making an easy stirfry:chicken bacon (love that stuff! Tegal), mushrooms, green and red capsicum, red onion, pinenuts. Usually put in 1 or 2 crushed garlic cloves. And serve with coriander, my all time favourite herb.
Tonight discovered in the fresh vege section at Countdown bunches of garlic sprouts.Anyone else used them!
Long like spring onions but skinnier, bright green and not layered ~ like long straight skinny beans really. I chopped them and tossed them in . will report back on whether they are as strong as garlic. I suspect not (which might be a good thing).
Am wondering though how else I can use these as I have a half the bunch length left over.

otterhound, Oct 26, 8:28am
My best discovery last autumn was when my garlic chives flowered with all these tiny, white flowers.Picked a pinchful of them and tasted and they were just lovely! All my salads were then adorned with tiny white, garlicky flowers.They were delicious!

davidt4, Oct 26, 9:28am
Yes, but the flatulence was incredible.

uli, Oct 26, 9:59am
I wonder what that is. "Long straight skinny beans" doesn't sound like a sprout at all. Are they hollow inside like chives!

mindi1, Oct 26, 5:44pm
Uli, I know. "Sprout" doesn't quite suit as a name but it is. They are solid inside. Bean like in colour but twice the length, straight and just solid inside, no seeds or layers.

babytears, Oct 26, 6:03pm
Yes, I've seen them, never tried them though. they're called "shoots"aren't they! I wouldn't mind trying them out :)

pickles7, Oct 26, 6:12pm
They are solid but insipid, we wouldn't buy them again.

seaspray1, Oct 26, 6:43pm
Really common in Canada. They call them "scape".We had them often - usually quickly fried or BBQed and used as salad toppings.

davidt4, Oct 26, 8:03pm
Chinese greengrocers usually have them, called garlic shoots.They are crisp and succulent, like very tender flower stems.They are not curled like scapes but completely straight.

antoniab, Oct 26, 8:07pm
Yeah our green groccer sells them but Ive never bought them - saw them for the first time at Count Down last week though.

hestia, Oct 27, 4:10am
Also common in Asia. They are also called "garlic stems", according to a Hong Kong cookbook which I have.

uli, Oct 28, 12:00am
I wondered if they are flower stems.
Most likely from small leeks I would imagine.
I shall try and find out.
Remember that elephant garlic is also a leek, not garlic.