Has anyone ever frozen slices before! i have my

scannell2, Oct 25, 9:41pm
sons birthday coming up and thought if i was organised i could do a few slices (some cooked some just biscuit mix ones) and stick them in the freezer. then i could get out the day before and ice. has anyone ever done this or will they go funny if i freeze them! cheers people

245sam, Oct 25, 10:02pm
scannell2, most baking can be frozen, including slices (baked and the unbaked fudge types), cakes, loaves, muffins, scones, biscuits.
I personally don't have much experience re freezing iced items although I did freeze (very successfully), for about 3 months, the leftover portion of a ganache-iced chocolate cake - it was great and just as good as when freshly baked and iced.
Slices that I have successfully baked in preparation for our daughter's wedding day-after At Home include Caramel Crumble (similar to Tan Fingers) and the fudge type slices e.g. Apricot Slice, Caramel Ginger Slice, Chocolate Fudge Squares, Chocolate Salami, Lolly Cake.I have also very successfully frozen truffles e.g. Brandy Balls, Caramel Ginger Balls (same as Caramel Ginger Slices but made into balls), Whisky Truffles, White Chocolate Truffles.I have recipes if you'd like to make any of these items.

Good luck to you as the busy Mum of the birthday boy and "Happy Birthday" to your son - I guess that this must be one of those really special birthdays - 21st perhaps!

greerg, Oct 26, 2:56am
The only thing that is sometimes not as good after freezing is chocolate icing made with butter, water and icing sugar.The surface sometimes goes pale.Ganache is fine though.

aimz_bj, Oct 26, 11:28pm
Maybe you could make the slices and freeze but ice them once you are ready

2bakerz, Nov 2, 11:13pm
Thanks, 245sam for answering a question I was going to post up today!Just used the search function & my question was answered.just one query - would shortbread also be ok to freeze.I find now that my married daughters and grandchildren like home baking as Xmas prezzies, so when the mood takes me I can bake and freeze to my heart's content!

dotty23, Nov 4, 8:52am
I ALWAYS freeze EVERYTHING, with no failures to date.Slices such as fudgey/biscuity ones can just be stored in the fridge for weeks (if they last that long!); anything else freezeable in my books!Caramel square, tan square, anything.I take it straight from freezer to kids lunchboxes & good as gold.

donnabeth, Nov 4, 9:49am
we need a 'like' button here. I'm with dotty23 on this one. And.once you've tasted caramel square straight from the freezer you'll never have it in tins again. Chocolate icing(since i learned to make it properly) is usually fine and so is ganache icing.