Where to buy pickling onions! Do they keep well !

missmuppett, Oct 24, 8:56pm
Going to have my first attempt at pickling and preserving. Wondering where to buy pickling onions at a good price, and do they keep well!Does any fruit shop sell them etc!Many thanks.

holly-rocks, Oct 24, 10:32pm
Cool! I use the Edmonds recipe and its great. Yip you should be able to get some from the fruit and vegie shop. I generally get mine from the wee vegie stall down the road but have also found them at New World also. They keep very well, ive opened a jar thats over a year old and they were fine :)

antoniab, Oct 25, 12:44am
Our countdown and pak n save sells them as do the green groccers

missmuppett, Oct 25, 1:47am
Awesome - thank you for that info.I am super keen to try a batch out!

samsnan, Oct 25, 3:19am
I would not buy pickling onions right now as they will be last years crop stored and they will probably go soft . Wait until the new seasons crop is harvested around January.

fogs, Oct 25, 10:50am
i use deliah's recipe for quick no fuss pickle onions, you don't have to soak in brine first. just peel the onions add 1 tspn of greggs pickling spice cover with malt vingar leave in a dark place for 6 weeks and use they are yummy and very quick to do,

missmuppett, Oct 25, 8:20pm
Thanks samsnan, thats really helpful info.

dreamers, Oct 25, 8:22pm
I second that,you are better to wait till next year end of January on .

dwebble, Oct 26, 10:40am
Once you pickle your own you will never want to store buy a jar again lol. Last year a friend and I pickled almost 20kg's worth. Next batch I am goingto be a bit more creative with my flavourings. I don't use a recipe, I make it up as I go according to taste.