How to make Dutch Hak

petetang, Oct 22, 9:18pm
Im looking for a recipe to make hak made from red cabbage and apple

uli, Oct 22, 10:12pm
I do it the German way - very similar though:

Fry onions, add finely sliced cabbage, a bit of water, some vinegar (I use cider vinegar, but white is just as good), salt and pepper and some whole cloves (or powder) and one cinnamon stick (or two - or powder). Let simmer until the cabbage is soft, then add finely sliced (peeled) apples to taste (I use about 4 to 5 for a big head of cabbage. Check seasoning and add some red wine any time during the cooking if you like.

Serve with mashed potatoes (which is potatoes, cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper), and any meaty stew or roast.

petetang, Oct 22, 10:22pm
Thank you uli my man will be over the moon hes loves the stuff

uli, Oct 22, 11:32pm
I hope it is close enough to what he remembered from home :)

dinky17, Oct 23, 3:00am
I am dutch,,what is 'hak'! never in my life heard of that word,lol.gehakt (mincemeat),by reading the thread,,,,you mean maybe stampot! where I Holland did that word come from please!

dinky17, Oct 23, 3:05am
a :hak" is the heel on a shoe ,in Dutch.

jbsouthland, Oct 23, 3:06am
My partner from Utrecht knows it.we have brought it from New World here in glass jar.Hak or Hack is the label of the stuff in Holland .

dinky17, Oct 23, 3:10am
O right,,I beg you pardon,HAK is the tradename of the firm that makes bottled vegetables,,,lol,,,like bigben,,,forkiwi meatpie,,,lololpheww you had me worriednp,,