Lemon Meringue w/o pastry!

katienz11, Oct 22, 9:13am
Ive just been looking at the recipes on here for lemon meringue pie.The one I remember didnt have pastry.I dont think it had condensed milk either.I remember it being like a really lemony custard with a meringue on top.Does anyone have a recipe for this one! Thanks.

elliehen, Oct 22, 10:35am
Here is a recipe from the 1962 edition of the New Zealand Country Women's Institutes Cookery Book:

LEMON MERINGUE

2 Tbsp arrowroot or cornflour
1 oz butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
4 Tbsp icing sugar
1 pint boiling water
rind and juice of lemon

Mix arrowroot (or cornflour) with a little water and unbeaten yolks.
Pour on boiling water, stir until smooth.
Bake firm.
Make a meringue with whites and icing sugar and return to oven to brown.If preferred, the mixture may be poured into a baked pastry case, instead of a greased dish, when it is called a meringue pie or tart.

suzanna, Oct 22, 11:32am
You may also be thinking of lemon Delicious which is baked in a dish of water similar to a custard. At present I don't have a recipe but I'm sure you'll receive many from other members.

suzanna, Oct 22, 11:37am
"Lemon Cheese Pudding
from an Edmonds book from 1972: 1 tablespoon butter, 1/2 breakfastcup sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, pinch salt, rind and juice of 1 lemon, 1 breakfastcup milk, 2 eggs. Cream butter and sugar. Add flour, salt, lemon rind and juice, then milk and the egg yolks. Mix well. Lastly whisk the egg whites till stiff and fold in. Pour into a greased pie dish. Stand the dish in a pan of cold water, then place in the oven. Bake 40 minutes at 170°C until firmish. posted by juliewn"

Hope that helps and is the one. :-))

Edited to add that this type of pudding is also often known as Lemon Delicious - IMO a lovely warm lemony dessert that is perfect for winter. :-))

Edited again to add a OOPS, I read your posting again and noted that it's a chilled dessert that you're wanting - from your description, I suggest that you're wanting to make a lemon flavoured Spanish Cream. :-))

Edited by 245sam at 6:51 pm, Tue 14 Jun

Quote245sam (28 )6:47 pm, Tue 14 Jun #2

This is similar to the one I remember but 245sam may be right- it may be Spanish Cream that you are wanting. Just search 'lemon delicious' on the message board facility to the left of screen -over the last year- and you will find many.