Is a green mango a unripe green mango!

purplegoanna, Oct 22, 7:38am
or another type of mango! (for like green mango salad)

gardie, Oct 22, 7:48am
Only ever heard of one mango - and lived in Queensland for 15 years.I'm guessing its an unripe one but not sure I would want to eat a salad made out of them.Would be quite tasteless - and need a good dressing I'm thinking.

andy644, Oct 22, 8:45am
Yes it is an unripe mango. We were in Cambodia for 3 months and lived on green mango salad. Adored it. Now I make it here as often as poss, but have difficulty getting the mango to the same type of shred they used over there. It was shredded like thin spaghettinoodles, but try as i do i cannot get mine like that. they end up all squishy. However the flavour is great-fish sauce, fresh Kampot ground pepper, lime juice and some grated palm sugar.

maximus44, Oct 22, 8:20pm
Interesting to hear you recipe andy644. I was watching Rick Stein last night and he was in Cambodia. He went to a fish sauce factory and they also showed and talked about the Kampot pepper.

buzzy110, Oct 22, 8:36pm
Maybe instead of using a mandolin or grater where the fruit is rubbed across the cutter or grater they probably used a hand held device where you hold the mango and shred it by pulling the little device along the mango instead, in much the same way you would use a potato peeler, or a better description would be a citrus zester. I have one of those devices and I never use it because it has a penchant for removing strips of skin and flesh as well.

prawn_whiskas, Oct 22, 8:45pm
The problem will be the mangos.Here all we can get are cool stored fruit, so they will not behave the same as a fresh green mango from the tree.Cool Store fruit has lost its integrity and will be tasteless and go squishy.

uli, Oct 22, 10:07pm
I also never really saw a genuinely unripe (=green) mango in NZ. They are all soft and nearly ripe (or over ripe) when in the shops.

davidt4, Oct 22, 10:17pm
In Laos and Thailand the green mangoes and green papayas are shredded by hand.The person preparing them holds the peeled fruit in one hand and with the other hand uses a cleaver or knife to make dozens of horizontal slits down one half, then slices thinly through that part perpendicular to the slits,starting at the outside and working in, making hundreds of neat shreds.It looks easy but takes years of practice.

If the original poster is looking for something to make into Som Tam or other salads like that,carrot works quite well oddly enough.It is a bit sweeter but has the right texture.

prawn_whiskas, Oct 22, 10:52pm
You're right, because they would have been gassed about 1-2 weeks out from port so they start to ripen for the destination.Its why most are tasteless.I like the Aussie ones, they are normally picked a bit riper and sent over, expensive and you won't find green ones.

I imagine most kiwis would whine that there were unripe fruit in the shops if green ones were imported!